Is there any trick to enable features like Smart Connect?

Im using openwrt 22.03.2 on my Cudy WR1300 V1

On the stock Cudy firmware, The had a feature named "Smart Connect"
That creates only a single SSID with both 2.4Ghz and 5GHz band. With that feature, smartphones automatically connects to 5GHz when have good signal and switches to 2.4G when 5GHz band cant provide enough signal strength(when the distance is a bit longer).

So i was trying that on Openwrt. I just created SSID for both 2.4G and 5G band with same name and password. But it doesnt work like Cudy's Smart Connect. Instead phone connects automatically to 2.4G band.

So is there any way to make this like Cudy's Smart Connect???

I believe what you're looking for is called band steering.

2 Likes

Thanks mate.
How do I configure it in LuCI? seems complicated also theres no luci-app packages :frowning:

Band steering can be accomplished a couple of ways using OpenWRT. The most popular ways are 1. DAWN and 2. usteer.

I’ve used DAWN and it requires a bit of patience and testing to set it up right. DAWN also works really well when you’re using multiple AP’s.

I don’t have any experience with usteer, but from what I’ve seen on the forum, it’s easier to setup.

1 Like

Okey Ill try dawn and let you know if I find any difficulty setting it up.

1 Like

I learned a lot by using DAWN. There’s a significant positive impact just by enabling 802.11k and v in your wireless config (at least for me there was).

The most important thing to know - you can be very aggressive with your DAWN config and it’s kick parameters, but it ultimately comes down to the device on whether it wants to hop from one band to another.

Gotta test it. I have 4 smartphones and 2 laptops. Never had issues with Smart Connects though.

Check out this thread

There’s a lot of good information in there that helped me.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.