Iptmon: simple iptables-based bandwidth monitoring

Oh, I suspect it's because there are some newlines in your /etc/hosts.

Can you share the output of:

cat /etc/hosts /tmp/hosts/* | grep '^$' | wc -l

If it's not 0, I forgot to account for newlines in those files, and that's probably what's causing the bug.

1 Like

bingo! ( was 1 )

???

"init")
		backup_orig
		init_chain
		finalize_chain
		commit
		load_static_hosts
		cat /tmp/dhcp.leases | cut -d' ' -f2,3 | while read tMAC tIP; do
			$0 arp-add "$tMAC" "$tIP"
		done

Should be fixed now. Just pushed v0.1.1.
Needed to use a smarter grep expression to handle both newlines and comments.

Could you give it a try?

1 Like

yup... better...

Great, thanks for the feedback!

actually are we not hitting the counters now?

edit false alarm my bad

old

-A INPUT -j iptmon_input
-A OUTPUT -j iptmon_output
-A iptmon_input -j RETURN
-A iptmon_output -j RETURN
-A iptmon_rx -s 10.2.3.1/32 -m comment --comment rx_rpi-dca6325631 -j RETURN
-A iptmon_tx -d 10.2.3.1/32 -m comment --comment tx_rpi-dca6325631 -j RETURN

new (master)

-A INPUT -j iptmon_input
-A FORWARD -j iptmon_tx
-A FORWARD -j iptmon_rx
-A OUTPUT -j iptmon_output
-A iptmon_input -j RETURN
-A iptmon_output -j RETURN
-A iptmon_rx -s 127.0.0.1/32 -m comment --comment rx_localhost -j RETURN
-A iptmon_rx -s 10.2.3.1/32 -m comment --comment rx_rpi-dca6325631 -j RETURN
-A iptmon_tx -d 127.0.0.1/32 -m comment --comment tx_localhost -j RETURN
-A iptmon_tx -d 10.2.3.1/32 -m comment --comment tx_rpi-dca6325631 -j RETURN

Hm, it shouldn't have affected the rule generation.
I'd try to reload the firewall rules manually:

# iptmon init
# kill -HUP `pidof dnsmasq`
1 Like

ok, cool... must have done something whacky... i'll sort it out!

iptmon sounds interesting but it seems I am too a neebie to understand everything.
I have OpenWRT 19.07.7
How can I check that:

iptmon depends on dnsmasq version >=2.80-16, which merged a PR to enable script-arp so make sure your dnsmasq package is up-to-date.

If you are using luci-app-statistics prior to git commit 4778aa6 you will need to upgrade as this commit merged a PR to fix the ip6tables firewall statistics view in LuCI.

dnsmasq -v gives me 2.80 but not much details more for example

Hi @darrepac, this was an issue about a year ago. I submitted a patch to the dnsmasq package that has since been merged, so you should be fine.

To get the full installed version of any package, you can run opkg info dnsmasq | grep Version. This info is also available through the web UI under "System -> Software".

Thanks! I could have found the system -> software...

Very beautiful this panel @oofnik ...

Is there a step-by-step, very detailed tutorial that teaches you how to build this monitoring panel using Grafana?

I am self-taught in Linux, I know some things and I always like to learn ... I can upload a Linux (I really like Debian) on a virtual or real machine here at home or even in the cloud (AWS free tier lol) and study it even more ...

By the way, I will install the ipk on my router to test ...

I use nlbwmonitor, but I constantly observe the corruption of the data file - I don't know if this is related to the fact of uses extroot, I believe not, I have already tested my pendrive and no problem was found on it.

Hi @topsbr, there is no tutorial but you can simply download it from the Grafana site and import it in to your Grafana installation by entering the dashboard ID. You can then customize it as you wish.

1 Like

For anyone wondering about 21.02, the answer is here.

1. manually add dhcpscript to /etc/config/dhcp, as below
config dnsmasq
          option dhcpscript '/usr/sbin/iptmon'
  1. add "iptmon init" to /etc/rc.local

===

But my question is on IPv6, which lands like this in the view:

Or this:

First, is it normal for it to be unconfigured by default, unlike Ipv4?

Second, which of the many choices would be correct (I show both paths above, mangle and filter).

Thanks

Thanks so much for building this. I'm trying to understand the impact of running statistic gathering on my router. I have a Influx and Grafana installation on the LAN, so I'd like to push as much of the processing and memory usage to that PC instead of putting the burden on my router.

[edit] In terms of dependencies for iptmon, can I install collectd instead of installing luci-app-statistics? The thing that would be lost by only installing collectd without luci-app-statistics is the UI configuration right for collectd right? I'd have to manually configure collectd?

Kind of a followup to the previous question. With luci-app-statistics and Iptmon installed, how do I view bandwidth of specific host devices? It is suppose to show up on the LuCI UI's staistics menu? If someone could post a screen shot, that'd be really helpful. I don't know if the install did not go OK and I'm not seeing what I'm suppose to, or if the host data is available a different view than the statistics menu.

Yes, it's the Statistics menu. Yes, pretty sure you need luci-app-statistics (which installs collectd).

Of course, you have to use the script to install the .ipk as shown on the github page or nothing is going to be happening.
You also may or may not need to do this:

I no longer use iptmon, so that's all I can tell you.

Oh, I think you just identified the issue I was having. I installed iptmon by doing this:

opkg install ./iptmon_0.1.6-1_all.ipk

But you're saying you need to use a script to install it? I didn't see any scripts in the github project. Sorry, I'm new to OpenWRT and I've only installed things via opkg. Can tell me which script?

Yes, it's at the bottom of the page, but now that I look at it again it's not much of a script: it's doing what you did, just in more generalized form (you apparently just downloaded the ipk manually).

If you're not seeing data, I suspect that it's because of needing to do what's mentioned in the link in my previous post.

It looks like the problem was that I didn't know that the "firewall" network plugin is the iptables collectd component I was looking for. When I enabled it and blindly add something in there, I can now see data. But it's not per-host data I was after. The configuration of the iptables isn't very intuitive. There's table, chain, and comment...I'm not really sure what set of selections would provide the per-host data I want collectd to collect.

That chat was from playing with multiple types of configurations for iptables plugin.