Ipq806x NSS build (Netgear R7800 / TP-Link C2600 / Linksys EA8500)

I removed both wifi commits individually yesterday - no change. Still getting 200mbps 5G wifi.

The only other thing I changed was the 5.4 config option. Yes is what I changed it to for compatibility with the G10. My next test would be to disable it again (change it from yes back to “not set”)

CONFIG_CMDLINE_OVERRIDE=y

I removed the NSS mac80211 patches due to incompatibility with recent master updates - that should make it operate like master (should be twice the current speed).

If that doesn’t work it must be a change in master since May 8th.

master works fine. Just built an image two hours ago.

ouch :slight_smile:
so nss:

• bad with 5.10
  • bad with DSA
  • wifi acceleration bad also with recent master

it doesn't seem to be an easy future for NSS :frowning:

anyway thanks a lot for your work, yesterday i could build my image with no problems at all, just cloning your repo and adding my config and files.

FWIW: I still have the .bin files for the latest rock solid stable 20.01 build that runs at 600 Mbps+ for both wired and wi-fi connections, I think the ath10k works better for me though. I downgraded to that version for now.

20.01 stable ath10k-ct: R7800-20210508-Stable2102NSS-sysupgrade.bin
20.01 stable ath10k: R7800-20210508-Stable2102NSS-ath10k-sysupgrade.bin

Hopefully we can figure out how to make NSS work with newer versions of OpenWRT :slight_smile:

2 Likes

let me try your version, if it's rock solid for me, then you can certify it friend, hehehe.

:wink:

2 Likes

The May 8th build was solid other than the G10 not working due to the command override.

Vanilla master build:

NSS full offloading:

Sorry if my it is a git noob's question, is there a way to rebuild an image with a previous specific version of the 20.02 or master?

In my case I have an image from March the 8th, it is a OpenWrt 21.02-SNAPSHOT r15915+37-31bca5f

The iperf results I get are quite good

[SUM]   0.00-10.02  sec  1.05 GBytes   900 Mbits/sec                  sender
[SUM]   0.00-10.00  sec  1.05 GBytes   898 Mbits/sec                  receiver

This will move you back to the last commit on March 8th:

git reset bff84f3e8ec6fbeeeb609b2d1fe28300c4c7c6ee

You’ll have to git cherry-pick the NSS commits back.

1 Like

As bff84f3e8ec6fbeeeb609b2d1fe28300c4c7c6ee refers to branches of external repositories, we would also need the relevant feeds.buildinfo (and .config file, but I guess this would not change much over time) from the March 8th build in order to reproduce an older build; otherwise building would result in a mix of old and new commits (because OpenWrt is modular and "spread" over multiple repositories).

1 Like

OK, I apologize for dropping off for a while. I have been periodically keeping up with this but not very consistently because I have been quite stable. If I read correctly, there has been a kernel upgrade recently that has broken things. Do I have that right? I have been running the MasterNSS version of the image since last fall. The one I am currently running is from April 30. I have not really torture tested it, but everything I need seems to work. I think the wireless performance is not what it once was, though. It seems that the latest 'best performance' image is from May 8. Is this the Master or the Stable2012?
Should I upgrade to the May 8 MasterNSS? If so, where can I get it? Should I use the Stable2102NSS from the same date instead? I have the images @broken_system posted and can update to those quickly.
@ACwifidude What is the consensus? Which is the 'last best' image for the performance on an R7800 with the current state of this build?

The 8 May is the best performing build so far - both master and 21.02 are similar in performance.

I’ll clean, rebuild, and troubleshoot this weekend to see if there is a source of the slowdown.

2 Likes

where do you get old images?

I'm going to test this version that you say, if it holds me, it will be a miracle.

Edit:

Not even 3 hours has the firmware lasted me rock hard. restart at 3 hours. I only have streaming sharing a torrent at about 2mbs upload on a 600mb / 600mb connection. no stable nss firmware for me. XD.

I wouldn't use the NSS build on the main router, but it works fine on the R7800 serving as the wired/wireless bridge.

@xeonpj Try uninstalling DAWN software package.

I think Kong's images don't use that package and the result is the same. it is the torrent that restarts it, the torrent is wired. if I disable torrent the stability is correct. it's something strange

BitTorrent uses predominantly UDP for data transfers right?

@Ansuel fixed a UDP NULL pointer bug with ECM. Did your build include his patch? You can refer to this link to my repo for reference (note this is for QSDK 11.2, but should be applicable to QSDK 10.x as well):

I have no compilation knowledge. I am currently wearing the May 8th acwifi. What image is that patch wearing?

Oh, in that case, maybe @ACwifidude can comment if your 8th May build has this patch? If not, maybe it's good to patch it and test it out.

You can disable UDP in the bittorrent client and not lose anything.

i'm sorry i have to say that, but i've just downloaded a torrent file and the @ACwifidude build is stable (well, i build it by myself, but it's a detail).
I really fear your router can have an hardware problem, are you sure you had no problem with the stock firmware?
have you the torrent client ON the router or BEHIND the router? mine is ON the router, but i also tried with pico-torrent on my laptop pc, another torrent downloaded and router stable.
sorry :frowning: