This is what I have:
- TP-Link Archer C7 v4 connected to the modem (WAN)
- OpenWRT 19.07.1 (I've been using OpenWRT since at least version 18)
- a wired PC to the router
- at least 18 wifi devices connected to the wifi all the time (smart home devices from 3-4 different brands) plus 1-3 occasional wifi clients (phone, laptop, etc.). Most (lights, outlets) are 2.4 Ghz and around 5 (speaker, phone, laptop) are 5 Ghz. They are all very close to the router (same room, open floor)
- internet speed shows as very fast in at different speed tests (at least 50 Mb/s down and 10 Mb/s up)
This is what is happening:
- wired connection to my PC always worked well, no lag playing games, watching videos, surfing, etc.
- never noticed issue using my phone (I mean Internet use via wifi; never hand loading pages)
- smart home devices randomly (no specific time of the day, or day of the week) have issues; music stream would stop playing unexpectedly, lights would show up as disconnected in native app (or not responding to commands). Important to note that when this happens, the affected client is still connected to the router (clients never lose connection to router/OpenWRT). Internet confirmed working when this happens (confirmed via PC and phone). I've been struggling with this issue for many months.
- as a hint, I noticed a few times that when the smart speaker is going to stop, it cuts the music a little bit and stops (like a video buffering). So it leads me to believe that the smart speaker is having trouble keeping the connection.
I assumed my wireless might have issues keeping a good and stable connection.
This is what I already attempted (and nothing solved the issues fully):
- I played a lot of settings already (more below).
- I already did the basic stuff (reboot, reinstall, hard reset, etc.)
- use Cloudfare and Google DNS (in separate attempts)
- disable WMM
- disable low ACK disassociation
- removed short preamble
- set to a better channel according to wifi survey at home (tried a few channels actually)
- different lease times (as short as 5 minutes (just to test) and currently as 7 days)
- set static IP (but issue remains)
Any ideas what else I can try (other settings not included above) to fix or at least investigate what is going on? Taking the simplest example, I don't understand why the smart speaker stops playing abruptly even though internet connection is running OK (e.g. I'm playing a game with no lag or navigating via browser without any hangs).
One day everything works perfectly. The other day, it works in the afternoon then at night a few lights do not respond. Without any change in the settings, the next day everything works perfectly again. It's very random. Sometimes asking the command again works, sometimes not (forcing me to give up or disconnect from power).
Yes, it could be the services provided by the companies, but I'd like to investigate if I can do anything as a few things lead me to believe my wireless might not be stable.
Thanks for any help!