Internet drops

or to be sure it's not a problem on the client (your windows pc) you could try:

Great idea! :star_struck:

I will run from the router and from the windows... let's see if I have the same results.

a general question:

what type of internet access do you have?

adsl / optical fiber / 4g / other

The internet is provided with optical fiber (GPON link).

so do you have a fiber optic / ethernet adapter provided by your carrier and after all the other devices?

Is the fiber optic adapter set to bridge-mode or is it nat on the connections?

which operator provides you with internet?

In the meantime, lucky you that you have a fiber optic connection.

have you read these documents?

So do you have a fiber optic/ethernet adapter provided by your carrier and after all the other devices?
Correct, the network provided las equipment in my network is a NTU (Network Termination Unit).

Is the fiber optic adapter set to bridge-mode or is it nat on the connections?
The NTU gives me a NAT IP. So, It's not in bridge mode.

which operator provides you with internet?
A small network provider from my city, which is a good thing. Because if I need something from them, I can quickly get it.

Those are two good ones. Thank you for bringing it up.

I'm using vlan setup at the moment. I followed the steps from How to build a Router with a Raspberry Pi and managed Switch VLANs with OpenWrt. This is a great video from OneMarcFitty.

Are you reading my mind? hehehe....

I have bought the adaptor Ethernet Gigabit Ue300 Usb 3.0 Tp-link, but it hasn't arrived yet.

So far, after installing the mtr in the OpenWrt and running it on two Windows machines on my network...The internet issue didn't happen so far...I will continue tracking here ...

try to control the CPU load:

opkg install htop
1 Like

I loved it! :heart_eyes:

It seems that the CPU is good... :smiley:

You should try to stress the connection, for example by launching more contemporary downloads and/or even more contemporary speed tests it could be that you can identify the anomaly in the presence of multiple outgoing connections.

o heating anomalies of the Rasberry CPU under stress ..

Have you also active any SQM?

Have you activated the Stoware/Hardware Flow Offloading?

I just did a stress bandwidth test using the "https://www.speedtest.net/." During this test, the CPU 0 reached around 73% to 85% during download and 44% to 66% during upload. The other CPUs didn't change.

Have you also active any SQM?
:grimacing: Yes... To install and configure, I've followed the video OpenWRT - SQM QoS Setup on LuCI.

Have you activated the Stoware/Hardware Flow Offloading?
Not sure what do you mean.

Following this path of what I have installed... I also installed Wireguard, following some videos like... Wireguard OpenWRT Server

I think this is all I have done so far...

@ncompact, do you think it's not necessary to configure an SQM?
I have turned it off and rerun the download and upload test. It dropped the CPU usage a little to around 66% during the download and 55% during the update.

I don't think the SQM CPU usage is a problem for now...

since you have non-persistent connectivity problems I'm evaluating multiple variables.

I would definitely wait for someone more competent than me to solve your problem

Stoware/Hardware Flow Offloading?

1 Like

You have a good point. I have disabled the SQM.

About the Sofware flow offloading is disabled here. What do I need to do here?

enable or not SQM depends above all on how many people use the connection (if you only use it I would disable it)

or by the type of traffic, if you make a lot of video calls / voip I would replace it, putting a QOS

1 Like

if "Sofware flow offloading" is disabled
and the network presations for you are enough personally I would not enable it

if instead like me you need to access resources that are after your better performing wan link I would enable it (but it is not advisable to do it with SQM or QOS active).

I found a good explanation about the Sofware flow offloading.

If you enable software flow offloading then you cannot use QoS and SQM. If it is disabled you can use them.
That's because "software flow offloading" means that the traffic is bypassing some of the advanced firewall features used by QoS and SQM to prioritize traffic.
It's meant to provide an "alternative" to the "hardware accelerated NAT" features offered in stock firmware that can't usually be done in OpenWrt. It's not as good as HW NAT, but it's at least halfway there

"Software Flow Offload"

mine is enabled because I'm behind CGNAT and the 4g modem/router I have is connected to a nas and my openwrt router if it doesn't enable it I have poor network performance because I can't move the nas to my lan nor correctly administer the 4g modem/router I have.

that's why I said you're lucky to have a fiber optic line.

Wow, 4G... I live in the countryside. The funny part is I don't have 4g, but I do have GPON... hehe :rofl: :rofl:... life is wild.

An exciting thing about my home network is that I have more than 47 pieces of equipment with reserved IPs and more others connected daily without a dedicated IP.