Installing unbound stops DNS

OK, this is slightly different than my issue...I'm not compiling firmware then attempting to use official repos.

@JoshGrant, what happens when you use the snapshots from the official downloads site?

This is where I'm downloading from. Isn't this the official site?

http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/targets/ramips/mt76x8/openwrt-imagebuilder-ramips-mt76x8.Linux-x86_64.tar.xz

Is there's a pre-compiled firmware?

Not one that you biuld.

Yes, they always have it but I want to build my own since I don't use all of the pre-installed packages.
Still, currious why I've not been able to build, all morning so far.

Is it my machine, maybe something new to be installed/required on it to build or is it something with the repo?

So this means you're not gonna try it?

OK.

Apparently a few glitches at the moment.

There are no packages installed in snapshot, other than required defaults(not even LuCI). But, it should be six of one, half a dozen of the other, between imagebuilder and snapshot, both of the same vintage.

@ lleachii
Not sure what you mean 'not gonna try'.
Yes, it's what I first used to convert the router to default openwrt and now want to use image generator to build my own.

1 Like

By doing so, I was attempting to see if it occurred on both.

I understand now.

So maybe it isn't that bad things only happen to me but that I'm an amazing bug finder right? :slight_smile:

I'll keep trying so that I can compare a default build with my own once the repo is up again.

Day two, builds are still not working after downloading the latest and just running 'make image'.
Is the repo still broken or am I missing a step?

Given your thread's title is regarding unbound and not build issues:

• Does this issue occur if you install the current snapshot (and packages) from downloads.openwrt.org - without building your own firmware?

This will quickly eliminate if there's a issue with unbound itself, building only, etc.

Yes, the thread started with unbound but now I cannot build anything in order to test. I was asked if I am doing something unusual and I don't believe I am but wanted to download again, build and see if there is any obvious difference.

Yes, it worked fine when I installed a pre-built firmware but I need custom network (dhcp) rather than 192.168.1.1 and some other things. This is why I am trying to build my own and include unbound.

:+1:

OK, excellent!

So if unbound works on the pre-built firmware, then we can eliminate that as the issue.

Sorry, I meant the firmware ran but at the time, I had not installed unbound. That is a good test idea which I'll try next.

1 Like

Odd. I downloaded
http://downloads.openwrt.org/releases/18.06.2/targets/ramips/mt76x8/openwrt-18.06.2-ramips-mt76x8-gl-mt300n-v2-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin

And wrote it to the device but now it won't come up. No 192.168.1.1, no DHCP, no IP that I can find so far. I've tried two different networks, two different DHCP servers and I've pinged 192.168.1.1 from both networks that I've connected the router to and nothing what so ever.

I also tried forcing an IP via DHCP using the MAC of the router but I think that the default builds don't have DHCP. I've often wondered why not make it DHCP by default rather than a gateway address.

Is it possible those builds got broken? Again, I'm not doing anything unusual.

Now I have it in factory reset but not really sure what to try next on it since I still cannot build using the latest snapshot. Repo seems to still be broken, downloads go missing while 'make image'.

Downloading file:packages/Packages
Updated list of available packages in /clients/openwrt-imagebuilder-ramips-mt76x8.Linux-x86_64/build_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/root-ramips/../../../../../clients/openwrt-imagebuilder-ramips-mt76x8.Linux-x86_64/dl/imagebuilder

Installing packages...
Installing libc (1.1.22-1) to root...
Installing libgcc1 (7.4.0-1) to root...
Copying /clients/openwrt-imagebuilder-ramips-mt76x8.Linux-x86_64/dl/libgcc1_7.4.0-1_mipsel_24kc.ipk.
Collected errors:
 * opkg_install_pkg: Package size mismatch: libgcc1 is 34871 bytes, expecting 34875 bytes
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package libc.
make[2]: *** [package_install] Error 255
make[1]: *** [_call_image] Error 2
make: *** [image] Error 2

If you saved your settings during the downgrade to 18.06.2, that may be the problem. The switch config (for example) may differ. Additionally, if you saved your configs, you probably don't have dnsmasq properly setup for initial use (hence receiving no IP).

Also, not sure what you mean by "two different networks."

The default LAN does have DHCP. Your laptop should get an IP if connected to a LAN port.

Not sure what you mean by "force IP" - if you're referring to the WAN, access to the router is blocked by default.

If you did a factory reset, is it working now?

I didn't save settings. I used mtd to overwrite the old fw.
Meaning, I have different networks that I can test, each is independant of the other.
I tested DHCP on both and was not able to see the router pick up an IP.
Force means using the MAC address to 'force' an IP being given to the device which owns that MAC address. I did that so I could know for sure if the router actually picked up an IP or has an IP and I'm just not knowing what it is. None and no 192.168.1.1 which is the default fw IP from the repo for this router.

Yes, all other devices get IPs from the DHCP server/s.
Yes, it is in factory mode now waiting for me to put a new fw file on it. However, since I that last test was using the default build from the repo, there is no point in trying that again so am waiting until the repo is fixed so that building can be accomplished.

At the moment, packages are still not getting downloaded which fails the build.

Sysupgrade wasn't available?

Yes, that's what I used but I always do it using mtd from the command line when possible.
mtd -r write openwrt-file firmware
Do you mean that sysupgrade automatically keeps the settings?

I also just now tried building snapshot mips based image and that completed fine so it's only the ramips versionof the repo (maybe others?) that is not completing when using even 'make image'.

What does a size mismatch mean anyhow considering I am not trying to build something customer, I am only using 'make image'.