Installing packages on OpenWrt 17.01.7

Firmware OPEN WRT 17.01.7, I need to install packages. I execute the "opkg update" command via SSH, and it gives an error indicating outdated URLs for package downloads. I edited the "distfeeds.conf" file and added current addresses like "http://archive.openwrt.org/releases/17.01.7"... Now I'm having a problem with package signature verification, it says they are outdated. I tried bypassing signature verification by adding the line "option check_signature 0" to "opkg.conf," but it didn't help. Please help me figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Technically speaking, there was never a version 17.01 of OpenWrt -- it was called LEDE for that version. The only reason I bring this up is that if your release actually says OpenWrt, it is probably not even from the official project.

But more importantly here, that version has been EOL and unsupported for around 5 years now... it has many known serious security vulnerabilities and should not be used anymore.

What is the device in question?

ubus call system board
4 Likes

TP-Link MR3420 v2 router. The issue is that the newer firmware version doesn't install on it. In principle, it works fine on 17.01.7, but I can't update the package list through opkg update. I got the firmware from https://openwrt.org/, the most recent one for my router.

In that case upgrading involves replacing the hardware first, but that doesn't make 17.01.x any less EOL, nor more secure (it isn't, it contains known/ unfixed security issues).

1 Like

This means that I will no longer install software packages on it?

You do not actually need the package lists, if you know which packages you need.

You could load the needed .ipk packages directly to your /tmp (with wget, curl, whatever) and then install them manually with opkg. (or download them to PC, move with scp to router, or something like that).

Like said above, the 17.01 is deprecated and unsafe.

Your router is so hardware-constrained that it might be time to upgrade it.
The status regarding current OpeWrt compatibility is reflected on your device's wiki page

2 Likes

It means your router can be a wi-fi extender with no problem but you need new hardware that is as close to future-proof as you can afford so you do not feel this way anytime soon.

You could get a Pi4 as a great, future-proof, router and keep this router as your AP. Here is why this is a good idea.