Installing OpenWrt support for CF-WR754AC

hello

it's been a long time since I used openwrt (behind once linksys wrt54g 2016/2018? )

congratulations on the journey!

sorry for my terrible english, not my mother tongue :frowning:

I would like to install openwrt on comfast cf-754ac.
I saw on the forum that some had succeeded.
but to tell the truth, I don't know in which order to take the information and what to do.?
can anyone help me or give me the right direction?

thank you

1 Like

Where did you see it?
It's not officially supported, unless it's a clone of something else

hi
here at the end the two last posts

Then use the instructions for the 575a3

i will doing that next week-end.
first will try an stock web interface upgrade ( but said as not work )
and second one i will try the tftp ,
hope i will not brick the device

thanks @frollic

@frollic maybe you will be interested .

Hi ,
Recently I spent many hours finding out the best-case scenario for Comfast CF-WR75AC Wifi Repeater device. In Short, I'd say never upgrade its firmware.

So It happened that I thought to upgrade it's firmware and by mistake I installed firmware of some another Comfast device which was just a router. Then this device only showed me the option of router configuration.

And the current firmware won't allow to nstall firmware with .bin extension. Then by installing 3-4 different firmware of other comfast devices, i finally managed to install .bin firmware and downloaded the correct one from comfast website which was : CF-WR754AC-V2.3.1.4

I installed the latest firmware i.e. CF-WR754AC-V2.3.1.4 which ultimately bricked my device. No wifi signal, no reset happening. It became a brick. Similar happened with user at reddit : https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/ewgq7d/anyone_has_an_experience_of_flashing_comfast/

Then I tried to flash it with OpenWrt image.
Below are the steps :slightly_smiling_face:

Keep LAN interface IP as below

1. Download openwrt firmware - (WL-WN575A3 works on comfast) : https://downloads.openwrt.org/releases/22.03.5/targets/ramips/mt76x8/openwrt-22.03.5-ramips-mt76x8-wavlink_wl-wn575a3-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin

2. Download and install TFTP -

3. Locate the folder of tftp - C:\Program Files\Tftpd64 or wherever did you intall it.

4. Copy the downloaded comfast firmware to the folder make it TWO Copies. Rename 1 (firmware.bin and 2 (firmware_auto.bin) & Run tftp as administrator.

1. Power off the device and connect an Ethernet cable from its LAN port to your computer
  5. . Press the WPS button (and keep it pressed) then power ON the device

6. Then Keep the WPS switch pressed and switch ON the device. Keep WPS press and then release & press quickly
    Try to access page: 192.168.1.1. The following should appear

7. Now update the downloaded openwrt firmware which we renamed as firmware.bin

8. Now install the stock firmware of comfast : version CF-WR754AC-V2.3.0.2
    from here : http://dl.comfast.cn/firmware/CF-WR754AC-V2.3.0.2.zip

Then try to access 192.168.10.1 and do the repeater settings.
Do not bridge 5ghz SSID with 2.4ghz repeater SSID.

Also I tried to flash the official wavlink WL-WN575A3 firmware also, it did but didn't show repeater settings, then the openwrt firmware for WL-WN575A3 worked, repeater was also fine but after reboot all settings were getting lost. I tried to hard save them also but it didn't work.

I have spent close to 11 hours on troubleshooting this device and make it work again. So please do not waste your time if you are not a developer and looking for online solutions only. I could not post more than one attachment as i'm a new user here else i'd have demonstrated each step with a snapshot/picture

Thank you
Rohit Gandas