Installing OpenWRT on TP-link TL-MR6400 v5

Hello,

I'm trying to flash OpenWrt on the TP-Link TL-MR6400-V5.2 using tftpd64 (or tftpd32) on windows 10.

I've set my adapter to 192.168.0.225 (I don't actually know where to configure port, I supposed that it can be configured in tftpd64 settings so tried configuring it there.)

I have renamed the v5 OpenWrt .bin file to "tp_recovery.bin", placed the file in the tftpd64 directory and selected the correct interface in the "Server Interfaces" dropdown in tftpd64.

When I power on the router whilst holding the reset button... nothing happens. (8 seconds, more than 8 seconds, 2 reset loops)

The router just resets and boots as normal into stock firmware.

I'm new to all this but it seems like i'm following the instructions.

It's really frustrating, I've been trying for hours now. I've checked out youtube videos relevant to installing OpenWRT to my device, but no solutions so far. I've tried disabling mediasense. Switching back to older builds of OpenWRT, nothing worked out for me. I am going to be very happy if anyone could give clear instructions/ take a good look at this problem. Thanks in advance.

Edit 1: I've noticed the tftpd64 switching back from 192.168.0.225 to 127.0.0.1 several times, other than that nothing really happened. I've seen people on youtube getting transfer message and stuff.

I'm new to this stuff too and I don't have this device neither I know how to setup TFTP server but this might help:

Did you look at these instructions on how to setup the TFTP server on Windows?

1 Like

Yes I did, I am sure I have followed these instruction correctly (except for the port part, that's like a curveball to me cause I haven't seen the option to configure port in windows yet).

Did you check this from the above

Use a switch between the TFTP host and the client router so that the network link of the Windows machine remains up while the router is rebooting

You might also want to drop/open your windows firewall for this operation.

I was such a fool, 192.168.0.225/24 means that the mask is 255.255.255.0, I instead set the TftpPort option to 24, that's why it didn't work out for me. After turning off my firewall, applying the correct settings the process carried out successfully. Now i just have to figure out how to get LTE working.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.