Installing OpenWrt on R8000p

Hello,
I am a novice at this type of thing. I can't find a way to install OpenWrt on my R8000p, I have found the way how to but with no instructions at all, I can't just update it to OpenWrt because it only accepts .chk files. I need instructions or links on how to install. Thanks.

I believe you still require serial console access at this point, see

Is it not possible then? If it is how what do I do with this? Sorry if I'm asking dumb questions, I'm very new. If possible I need very easy instructions.

From the commit adding support for this device I understand that you need to connect to the serial port found on the board e.g. using a USB-to-serial adapter operating at 3.3V TTL level.
Something like this:

Used in a way like this

https://www.myopenrouter.com/article/how-set-serial-console-netgear-r8000

Once you have connected the serial console and opened it (e.g. using puTTY with Windows or minicom with UNIX'es) you can interrupt the boot which will open a web interface allowing to upload the raw firmware image.

R8000P serial port. 3.3v required.
FYI: I have installed openWRT however couldn't make WiFi work.

eacb16092ff899d3cab4b7864d7b2f03717321db_2_553x500

1 Like

How did you set up the connection? I dont get any response from my R8000P.

usbttl

Baud rate: 115200 8 bits, No parity, 1 stop bit. (or 8-N-1)

And make sure that the Tx is connected to the Rx (and vice versa), connect ground. Usually you should not connect 3.3 or 5V or any of the other connections.

Thank you for fast replying. I tried

Baud rate: 115200 8 bits, No parity, 1 stop bit. (or 8-N-1)
and only connected Tx-Rx / Rx-Tx

Still no response but I can now type something in putty, it was not possible before.

you must connect ground. Did you do that?

Yes, I connected ground, too. For 1 second after turning on i can type something in putty, then it freezes.

As both your computer and the R8000p are supposedly connected to the power grid, what you are seeing may be noise due to ground loop issue. If it's a laptop, try running in on battery while using the USB-serial adapter, that may help.

Did you ever get this to work?