Installing OpenWRT on MF286D using ZTE Framework

I have been reading a lot of forum posts and Github issues, and it looks like OpenWRT can be flashed on the MF286D using a desktop software called ZTE Framework.

I am currently on the firmware "Nordic B12". Is it possible to install OpenWRT without using a serial? Using a soldering iron and opening the device is not possible since it's under warranty and I will probably mess up something.

Also, I have read that the LAN ports cannot be used for other devices under OpenWRT, is that still true?

State of the art information is as always in device wiki:
https://openwrt.org/toh/zte/mf286d#install_instructions
Probably you can avoid soldering by pressing wires to solder points, but it needs case open either way.

flashing some other fw (like openwrt) will probably break warranty too.

@brada4 I cannot open the case because it has a seal on the edges which will indicate tampering.

@frollic It's a used router with a 2-year warranty, if the hardware ever gets fried, I can get a refund. Changing the software will not be a problem since the seller themself flashed Nordic B12 onto this. If I install OpenWRT, I can also go back to Nordic B12 before sending it back. If the hardware is completely fried, it would not matter.

The actual problem still remains, that I am not good with soldering, cracking open cases etc. I have butter fingers, and I have broken too many things in the past while tinkering, so the ZTE Framework solution is the only sane way for me.

EDIT: Btw, here in the EU, loading your own custom software is not illegal and does not break the warranty, by law. The seller would have to prove that this new software caused a hardware issue. But breaking the device physically, well that is not covered under warranty.

Best to stay out then, you will not be able to recover if "ZTE framework" flashes something wrongly.

not if you soft brick it though ... ?

if your 3rd party fw bricks your device, and the seller can prove it, I'd say the warranty's void.

the OS/fw not booting isn't a hw issue, but a sw issue ?

It is not illegal, as in police and handcuffs, but claiming bonification on self inflicted damage twice may rise some attention.

I am willing to take my chances with the ZTE Framework since people have already used it. It's less risky than soldering in my case. If the device goes kaboom in the end, I'll eat up the loss. I'm just trying to do the least risky thing for myself.

Don't use LAN port 1 to flash, use LAN port 2.

You mean, use LAN port 2 to flash using ZTE Framework?