Installing OpenWRT in a X86 System in a partition, having both WIN11 and OpenWRT

Just that, yes.

So here i can build an image for my own needs? I suppose i have to choose the first option

When i check drivers (in windows 11) this is what i get:

driver ethernet
x2 (2 Ethernet Ports)

wifi driver

And this is the Wifi driver... but I have no idea which one I should choose to make it compatible with OpenWRT in my device

Yes, you want the combined EFI image.

The driver doesn't tell us anything about the HW, you want the VID and PID from device manager.

The story around Realtek wifi is usually the same as for Intel, if possible, even worse.

1 Like

Dont understand this... i had checked all the options about the ethernet and wifi drivers in device manager and i dont see anything like VID and PID. Where do i can found it?

Sorry for the ignorance....

Ethernet 1:

Ethernet 2:

Wifi:

Not going to bother with the wifi, but the wired should be working out of the box, according to X86 RTL8168B help - #2 by slh.

Just boot the combined EFI image from a flash drive, see where it gets you.

thats the thing, i need wifi to connect to a Mobile Wifi Hostpot to download all of i need. :sweat_smile:

Im in a work travel and thats what i have...

Yeah, that is probably not going to happen.

It'll be easier to tether the phone using USB.

You'll need to add the packages listed to the image builder package list.

i can download it from here

and send and install it by SCP, right?

That you can do too, but the NICs have to work, so I hope the kmod is the right one ,)

okey, will try and comment the result, thanks

Let me rephrase.

Why do you want both OpenWRT and Windows to be installed on the same device? They serve completely different purposes and have completely different use cases. And in a dual-boot scenario, you will be using either one or the other, not both.

OpenWRT is intended to be left alone and run unattended. You configure it to do its thing and then leave it alone; it's not intended as an interactive system.

Windows 11, on the other hand, is very much intended to be an interactive system. Yes, you can set it up to run unattended, but that's not its main use case.

If you want to run both OpenWRT and Windows at the same time on the same device, then dual-boot is not the solution; rather, some approach to virtualisation would be the solution.

I suspect that you're encountering the XY Problem: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XY_problem

yep, you are right, but im having problems installing OpenWRT in the entire SSD my x86 i have. I had set up an USB with OpenWRT image but it is booting from the USB all the time, im not seeing the option to install it in the SSD...

Respecting this, i selected the package to build a custom img but it doesnt work, cant see LuCI, cant connect via SCP... idk whats happening....

can't see it where ?
if you're refering to the console, it won't show there, only via the network.

sorry, accesing GUI from 192.168.1.1

does your client get an 192.168.1.x IP ?
if not, tried the other ethernet port ?

since you've got a console, what does ifconfig say ?

ifconfig says that the ip to connect to it is 192.168.1.1. Tried to set my nic to dhcp, static ip with 192.168.1.1 gateway... but nothing happens

i tried to flash the USB again with the "normal" .img and adding kmod-usb-net-rndis via scp and didnt work either...

if the IP is there on one of the ports, try doing logread -f, then unplug and reconnect the cable in both ports.

1 Like

do you mean with the firmware selector .img, right?

no, I mean the console, via SSH or HDMI.