Installing cmake and libssl-dev

I'm attempting to install the AWS IoT core on OpenWrt running atop a Raspberry Pi however the installation of cmake and libssl-dev is not going to plan

root@routeserve:~# opkg install cmake
Unknown package 'cmake'.
Collected errors:
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package cmake.
root@routeserve:~# opkg install libssl-dev
Unknown package 'libssl-dev'.
Collected errors:
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package libssl-dev.
root@routeserve:~# 

I'm new to all of this so I have a couple of questions: how can I identify which repositories those packages are in and how can I add them to OpenWrt?

This is the AWS page I'm working off of which says to install said packages: https://docs.aws.amazon.com/iot/latest/developerguide/connecting-to-existing-device.html#gs-device-sdk-tools

It seams you want to install Linux cmake software into openwrt device, openwrt can install special packages for openwrt only. Check the openwrt package lists.

Thanks for your reply @RadioOperator

The page https://openwrt.org/#:~:text=The%20OpenWrt%20Project%20is%20a,writable%20filesystem%20with%20package%20management. says

The OpenWrt Project is a Linux operating system

I have found a page about packages, but how do I search them to discover which sources/repos, if any, have cmake and libssl-dev or their equivilancies?

The OpenWrt Project is a Linux operating system, right, but it's special, no sw package named cmake and libssl-dev for OpenWrt.

in CLI terminal, type opkg list, you'll see the package list.

Yes, that was the first thing I tried. With other Linux distributions I’ve used, I could usually add sources that contained the packages I wanted. Does OpenWrt not have this functionality?

If OpenWrt does not have this functionality, are there packages with other names in the OpenWrt repository that do the same things as cmake? What searchable documentation exists that I could look into to find out?

You have Linux PC, run Cmake on it, do not try to use OpenWrt to do that jobs.

OpenWrt is working on some wifi routers, maybe only 8MB rom and 64MB ram, no LCD, and CPU slower. But openwrt still could install GCC, Python, .... for some small programs.

My OpenWrt instance has 8GB of RAM and a four core CPU. It's a Raspberry Pi 4b. There should be some way to get this to work if I can learn to identify the correct processes to go by. Even if I have to refactor some code or substitute expressions.

The keyword is "self-hosting", the forum search should provide the results.

2 Likes

Yes, your Pi4B is powerful for many. I was using it running ubuntu with cmake...build openwrt for itself. Wouldn't run openwrt for compiling others.

The solution to this problem is cross compilation and a link to it on this forum was kindly supplied to me by an AWS IQ member: How to cross-compile a program in raspberry pi with OpenWrt? - #6 by hnyman

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.