Install OpenWrt to Globalscale Mirabox

Hello everybody!
I can’t understand how to install OpenWrt on my device.
https://openwrt.org/toh/hwdata/globalscale/globalscale_mirabox
There is no information on the page

In addition, the latest existing image is named “upgrade” and there is no “instal" image.
Does this mean that first I need to find and install an earlier version, and then upgrade it to the latest?

Best regards

An initramfs image is provided though. Installation on this sort of device is to use bootloader to TFTP the initramfs to RAM and boot it. This will bring up a temporary run of OpenWrt. Use its sysupgrade function to commit the sysupgrade image to flash. This places the image in flash how OpenWrt expects to find it. Then boot the installed OpenWrt.

The bootloader may also support reading files from a USB drive instead of requiring TFTP.

Be careful, there are multiple versions of the Mirabox and the current firmware available does not support the later versions of the board. Of the two I have V5 and V9 the V5 is supported, but the V9 is not. One difference is the V5 has 1GB of NAND Flash while the V9 has a 4GB SanDisk eMMC on the USB Bus. A modified DTB file is likely necessary to support the V9. I'd be interested in finding out what other versions others have and which ones work with the available DTB file.

Thank you for the warning. I've checked my mirabox, turns out it's V5.
However, I haven't managed to unstall OpenWRT firmfare on it yet.
Shall keep on trying.

Thank you for your answer, not I see it way more clear. Too bad my attempts fail nontheless. I've set up tftp and loaded sysupgrade.bin image into RAM, and stopped at this point. Temporary OpenWRT just won't run (see system message below).
Guess I'm just too afraid of doing things wrong and screwing up the bootloader. Wonder if you might give me a piece of advice on what u-boot commands to be used, or is it something else I'm going wrong?

Marvell>> tftp ${loadaddr} openwrt-19.07.1-mvebu-cortexa9-globalscale_mirabox-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin
Using egiga0 device
TFTP from server 192.168.1.64; our IP address is 192.168.1.11
Filename 'openwrt-19.07.1-mvebu-cortexa9-globalscale_mirabox-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin'.
Load address: 0x2000000
Loading: #################################################################
         #################################################################
         ###########################                                                                                            
done                                                                                                                            
Bytes transferred = 4208932 (403924 hex)                                                                                        
Marvell>> bootm 0x2000000                                                                                                       
Wrong Image Format for bootm command                                                                                            
ERROR: can't get kernel image!   

A sysupgrade image can't be directly booted. You need to get the separate initramfs build from the download server.

1 Like

Right! Sorry, I missed that. So now I've done that and was able to boot from initramfs (v.18xx allright, but v.19 won't run - returns "kernel panic" error). However, using sysupgrade function from temporary run gives nothing. Should I use specific arguments for the function /specify installation path /pre-format flash somehow/etc?

root@OpenWrt:~# sysupgrade -v /tmp/openwrt-18.06.7-mvebu-cortexa9-globalscale-mirabox-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin 
Cannot save config while running from ramdisk.
Commencing upgrade. Closing all shell sessions.
Watchdog handover: fd=3
- watchdog -
killall: telnetd: no process killed
Sending TERM to remaining processes ... logd rpcd dnsmasq netifd odhcpd uhttpd ntpd ubusd 
Sending KILL to remaining processes ... 
Performing system upgrade...
Could not open mtd device: image
Can't open device for writing!
cat: write error: Broken pipe
[ 1229.471738] reboot: Restarting system