Install fails - 0kb available on filesystem /overlay

Hi again,
any quick solution to this issue? I'm trying to install speedtest-netperf to check my fiber connection.

df:

Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root                20480     20480         0 100% /rom
tmpfs                   255460      3676    251784   1% /tmp
/dev/ubi0_1               7680      7668         0 100% /overlay
overlayfs:/overlay        7680      7668         0 100% /
ubi1:syscfg              30276       872     27824   3% /tmp/syscfg
tmpfs                      512         0       512   0% /dev

what device are you using? What image do you have flashed (or what are you attempting to flash)?

linksys wrt1900acs, I've flashed davidc502 image and running fine.
But it seems overlay is a very small partition and stops me from installing a speedtest application I was hoping to test.

Do you have other packages installed? Maybe logs or other data taking up space?

You could try backing up your config, resetting to defaults which should clear out any unnecessary files, then reinstalling the packages you need.

Hmm, I have 256kb of logs as far as I know.
Yesterday I flashed my router with the same image already in use, but I didn't keep settings.
After that was done I uploaded the backup I took, guessing I was back to scratch when I did that upload?
Or maybe a flash don't clean anything at all?

I can't do a reset at the moment, but if that does remove data then I will try it some other time

If you're pretty certain that you don't have any large packages or other data taking up space, I don't know that resetting will do that much... but it would be worth looking at df -h to see what the status is before you restore your backup.

Meanwhile, since this is a davidc502 build, maybe it would make sense to post a general question about expected space utilization/availability on the related support thread.

df-h:

Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root                20.0M     20.0M         0 100% /rom
tmpfs                   249.5M      3.6M    245.9M   1% /tmp
/dev/ubi0_1               7.5M      7.5M         0 100% /overlay
overlayfs:/overlay        7.5M      7.5M         0 100% /
ubi1:syscfg              29.6M    872.0K     27.2M   3% /tmp/syscfg
tmpfs                   512.0K         0    512.0K   0% /dev

Yup, I can do that. Thanks!

Well, david's build is rather large as it included lots of stuff. (note the 20 MB rootfs as /rom).

But you have still somehow filled almost 8 MB of overlay with still additional packages and/or settings.

Quick solution is to to delete something unnecessary from /overlay
Or reset the router (to cleanup the overlay) and then add less add-on packages next time.

Thanks hnyman, could I inspect the overlay partition and try to see what's filling up? I'm using adblocker, ddns and openvpn, thats about it.
So I don't know why i've filled my router :slight_smile:

EDIT:
Under overlay/upper/usr/bin i found git, using 3,2mb's. I followed a guide yesterday and that told me to install git - I found it a little weird but I continued. So that's taking a lot of space! Deleting it.

Maybe a better question is ask how you run a speedtest for wan?

Nice find.
No idea why you would install git in your router, unless you really do some versioning stuff on the router...

Also under overlay/upper/usr/lib/ I found git, this folder was just as large. Deleted that too (from winscp). How do I force the router to "recalculate" free space? It still says its full. A restart would maybe do a lot

Just reboot the router.
That should make the overlay to start counting again properly.

(It may also be that it has been marked as "read-only" due to 0 kB free., But even then a reboot should help, as you have already deleted some files from /overlay )

1 Like

Thanks a lot!

Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root                20.0M     20.0M         0 100% /rom
tmpfs                   249.5M      3.1M    246.3M   1% /tmp
/dev/ubi0_1               7.5M    472.0K      6.6M   7% /overlay
overlayfs:/overlay        7.5M    472.0K      6.6M   7% /
ubi1:syscfg              29.6M    892.0K     27.2M   3% /tmp/syscfg
tmpfs                   512.0K         0    512.0K   0% /dev

i'll continue my journey finding a speedtest on my router now :slight_smile:

Edit: my journey has ended, and it was a good trip:

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.