Image Builder issues

That was my intention and that's what I did (AFAIU) - downloaded IB and tried to follow howto.
But met those issues:

1. PACKAGES var didn't work (no idea why)
  2. ddns added to image by workaround above didn't work on device - while image compiled with no errors

I think using a VPN would be the only choice for OP in this case because censorship firewalls. Then OP can use everything as a normal person who has access to Openwrt git repo.

Guys, TOR brings no good - ddns service in luci still shows the same error as above.
Here is building console output
But at least I found the root of issue with adding PACKAGES var to command:
in saving space howto var example uses these quotation marks - “ (look like italic ones), I pasted example in Pluma (default text editor in Mate), then edited and copypasted to console - they stay kinda italic, hard to notice..
Once I replaced them to usual "vertical" ones - it works. Please let know this issue to page mantainer, probably someone else will bump in the same stuff...

But main issue isn't resolved - why ddns doesn't work in image giving this error in luci?

Failed to execute cbi dispatcher target for entry '/admin/services/ddns'. The called action terminated with an exception: /usr/lib/lua/luci/controller/ddns.lua:107: attempt to index field '?' (a nil value) stack traceback: /usr/lib/lua/luci/controller/ddns.lua:107: in function 'service_version' /usr/lib/lua/luci/controller/ddns.lua:117: in function 'service_ok' /usr/lib/lua/luci/model/cbi/ddns/overview.lua:20: in function 'func' /usr/lib/lua/luci/cbi.lua:66: in function 'load' /usr/lib/lua/luci/dispatcher.lua:838: in function </usr/lib/lua/luci/dispatcher.lua:832>

Thank you in advance for any tips.

The luci app based on 18.06 dies here:

ddns

To fix that, please do not remove opkg in your image.

@dibdot, THANK you!
Keeping opkg resolved the issue.
Why then opkg isn't listed as dependency of ddns?
And in "Saving firmware space" no mentions that it is needed for image buiding...
Thank you again!

You can always edit documentation to update it. It may be that no one came to this point yet so there's no mention of anything.