I messed up setting up PPPoE connection

I put in the user name and passwords into both the wan and wan6 interfaces.
But only the wan6 interface seems to connect and it created an additional interface.

Is this the correct way of setting up my router?

Usually, you just configure the WAN interface. Then, if your provider supports IPv6, the WAN6 interface gets an IP address automatically.

3 Likes

Not correct way. Only wan interface is pppoe. The wan6 should be DHCP6.
If you configure the ipv6 option in wan interface to be auto, then wan_6 interface will be created automatically. If you set it to manual, you'll need to configure the wan6 by yourself. By default wan6 is already there with settings that work in most of the cases.

1 Like

I did this. Contacted ISP so they updated the Mac address to the address of the new interface.
But it never updated. It stays with the address of the wan6 interface.

Point to Point means that you only make one link to the ISP, One place to enter the username and password and one MAC address. Right now your second attempted connection is failing, as it should, because the ISP sees it as a duplicate from the same user.

If the ISP supports IPV6, your IPv6 traffic will be present inside that connection and the pppoe driver will split it out to a separate network. Try having just wan and set ipv6 to auto.

Also check if your line and modem can be changed to regular DHCP (often called IPoE), usually by offloading the ppp negotiation and packet encapsulation to the modem. Processing pppoe at high speed demands significant additional CPU power from your router.

1 Like

Please run the following commands (copy-paste the whole block) and paste the output here, using the "Preformatted text </> " button:
grafik
Remember to redact passwords, MAC addresses and any public IP addresses you may have

ubus call system board; \
uci export network; \
uci export dhcp; uci export firewall; \
head -n -0 /etc/firewall.user; \
ip -4 addr ; ip -4 ro li tab all ; ip -4 ru; \
ip -6 addr ; ip -6 ro li tab all ; ip -6 ru

Copy your WAN6 mac from devices setting, then delete all interfaces.
Create a new WAN interface (pppoe) and under devices give it the mac address of your previous wan6 (the one mac working right now).
Then set ipv6 on the new wan interface to automatic and done!

That's what I was thinking too.
But how do I set the MAC address?

From the devices tab I guess.

Using the instructions on how to use the Command-line interpreter
found here, I was able to edit the MAC address and change it to the one that the ISP was configured to use.

I ended up deleting the wan6 interface too and configuring the WAN interface to use the PPPoe protocol directly in the config trough SSH access, in /etc/config/network.

config interface 'wan'
           option device 'eth1'
           option proto 'pppoe'
           option macaddr 'XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX'
           option username 'username'
           option password 'password'

This is what it ended up looking like.

Edit: Corrected typo

1 Like

'eth1' else it won't work.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.