I have to unplug-plug router when settings are changed [BugReport]

Most of the time I have to physically turn off then on the router even after when OpenWrt auto reboots for router to be working again and settings be changed.

TL-WR850Nv2
OpenWrt 22.03.01

OpenWrt never auto-reboots by design. In fact, there are only very few situations where a reboot is really needed (I can only think of kernel upgrades).

If you are experiencing reboots, something is very wrong.

2 Likes

do you mean services that are restarted?

1 Like

@pico WiFi turn off or stops working. Ethernet also sometimes doesn't work.
@andyboeh What is wrong? Is it a bug?

Describe your issue with changing settings. Please use full full sentences.

Or

I speak English.
There nothing much more to tell. Just that I have to unplug -plug my router sometimes (half the time) when I change my settings.
Sometimes router auto-reboots and problem it still there or I have to guess that when families internet is down I have switch it off and back on again.
Where is no indication. Sometimes WiFi light on modem turn on but WiFi isn't. Sometimes both don't.
Sometime Internet and Router login page access thought Ethernet also needs on-off.

• The other half of the time (i.e. assuming when it works) - what steps do you use to change your settings - please describe?
  • How do you save/apply them?
  • Others already noted that there's no such thing. Can you better describe this process/issue?
  • Is this related to a settings change; or
  • Is this another issue you're describing?

Can you better describe this.

• Are you saying your routers crashes?
  • Is this another issue?

Are you saying you have to disable the LuCI web GUI for some reason?

The issue you're experiencing is still quite unclear; or rather - it seems your're having multiple issues and making one post.

• Did these issues happen on previous versions?
  • Have you tried upgrading?

The other half of the time (i.e. assuming when it works) - what steps do you use to change your settings - please describe?

I change normal stuff like SSID, Interfaces, Zones Traffic rules

How do you save/apply them?

LuCI

Are you saying your routers crashes?

Looks like it

Are you saying you have to disable the LuCI web GUI for some reason?

No

Did these issues happen on previous versions? *

New User.

Have you tried upgrading?

Will update soon

1 Like

Okay...

I noticed your title says "Bug Report" - and that you speak English. You seem unwilling to provide more details (or prompting's needed - and I'm not sure how better to ask); and maybe that's because you're not seeking help?

I just wanted to gently remind this is a community forum. OpenWrt doesn't make hardware - and others who have that device (which is quite common) can see and feel free to respond. In any case, in the meantime - I wanted to make sure you've seen this:

I hope the best and that you find a solution.

Perhaps upgrading fixes all.

Since you didn't clarify - I wanted to make sure you're aware that if you make a setting via LuCI that causes the client to loose connection to the web GUI for ~90 seconds, it reverts.

you're aware that if you make a setting via LuCI that causes the client to loose connection to the web GUI for ~90 seconds, it reverts.

I know not that

@RSHARM It is very difficult to help you if you do not provide more detailed answers. Let me ask you one more time for a simple example:

• Please describe step by step one situation where the router needs to be power-cycled

This way, others can try the same on theirs and check what went wrong.

1 Like

When I change SSID, AP Mac Address, Password, Radio Width, Interface Subnet Mask and Interface Gateway etc. , devices Interface, enable and disable SSID.

Now you're aware. Again - without further details, this seems like what's wrong. If this is the case, there is no bug. You have to:

• "Apply Unchecked"
  • Edit via another interface that won't loose connection; or
  • Edit via command line

Please note: the actions listed usually cause connection loss.

Maybe we should ask you to provide extreme details if you need [more] help. If you need more help - please note A.) all the steps to change the setting and B.) to attempt restoring connection after making such settings. Merely repeating the same thing won't help.

1 Like

To piggyback on this point... if you're making a bug report in general, you must be very specific about the details surrounding the bug. If you go to a doctor and say "my arm hurts" and leave it at that, you won't get a useful diagnosis. They will want to know exactly where it hurts, and if it is a sharp or dull pain, how severe it is, if moving it helps or makes it worse, what positions are most and least comfortable. They'll also want to know what, if anything, happened that could produce such pain (maybe you are sore from a workout, maybe you pulled a muscle, maybe you got a bee-sting...).

So far you've only given extremely general answers to the questions that have been asked. In the world of software (and hardware) engineering, the steps to reproduce a bug are absolutely critical, and you have provided no useful information by which anyone could actually truly reproduce it. Give us a recipe for the exact steps you go through when you experience the problem and then we'll have something to go on.

And as @lleachii and others have pointed out...

In other words, from everything that you've shown us so far, this is not a bug at all.

2 Likes

My doctor tells me "stop moving it that way"! :rofl: (Unless the Doc thinks I'm about to drop :skull_and_crossbones: of a :heart: attack!)

JK aside - seriously, I get you point of clarification 100%. Thanks (Professor @psherman )!

Yes. The device seems to be operating normally (as the OP describes thus far). :stethoscope:

So we first need to know if you're setting configs that cause connection loss - because everything described seems that's the issue.

2 Likes

lol... Just to be clear (and I'm sure you got it already), my comments were directed to the OP.

2 Likes