I can't ping Netgear switch from router, but I can ping it from other devices

Hello, this is not a vital issue, but it bugs me when I fail to understand and fix something that should be easy to understand and fix, so here's the puzzle for you to crack.

I have a network with the following devices (irrelevant ones left out for simplicity).

network-switches

From Pc01 I can ping any device on the network - Router, Switch00, Switch01, Switch02, Switch03, Pc02, as well as all the devices I left out from the diagram. However, from the router (PuTTY shell) I can't ping either Switch01, Switch02 or Switch03. The only switch I am able to ping is Switch00. All the other devices in the network do ping fine from the router, and all of them connect without a problem. However, the switches themselves are not pingable. Any idea what's going on?

Without any additional information, these are the questions which pop into my head:

• Are they L2 switches or L3 switches?
  • Do they participate in routing?
  • Do you use static routes or a dynamic routing protocol?
  • Does ROUTER know about the routes to SWITCH 01, 02, and 03?
  • Do the switches have any ACLs on them, which restrict incoming connections?
  • Could PC 01 be allowed to ping the switches, but ROUTER be denied?

What are the IP addresses of each device? That may help shed some light on the puzzle.

Hello, thanks for your reply.

All Netgear, L2. Switch00 is a gs116e, Switch01-03 are gs108e. Some time ago I had a gs108e in the Switch00 position, so the issue shouldn't be related to the specific models.

No routing. All the devices are in one subnet.

I really don't think so. I doubt these switches even have such security features.

As I said, it's only one subnetwork (192.168.1.xxx), so I doubt this is relevant.

What response does ROUTER give you when you try to ping the switches in question?

The pings from Router just timeout (100% packet loss).

What VLANs are configured on each and every switch port on all devices?

As I recall, the GS-series switches have their management interface on a specific VLAN. It might be related to that.

Does PC01 have that VLAN on one of its interfaces?

Is the configuration for the port that the OpenWrt router is attached the same as for that used by PC01?

I'm not familiar with the GS108E, but my GS108Tv2 can have its management address on any VLAN:

If the GS108E is similar, I wonder if the OP's switches are configured with heterogeneous VLANs for management.

Your reply got me thinking about VLANs. You may be on to something, @iplaywithtoys! (edit: and @jeff).

Here's the situation with VLANs. The links Router<->Switch00, as well as the links between Switch_N<->Switch_(N+1), are all "trunk" links (I mean they carry all VLANs, all tagged). The link PC01<->Switch00 only carries VLAN1. The link PC02<->Switch03 is a trunk link.

I just checked pingability from PC02, and I found PC02 can ping Switch00 but not the other switches. I would have expected only Switch03 to be pingable, not Switch00!

EDIT
In the ProSAFE configuration utility - the only tool for switch configuration available for these devices, as far as I know - there is no choice of Management VLAN, but I assume VLAN1 would be it.

The plot thickens...

It might be as simple as ensuring that the management VLAN is trunked between switches as well.

Depends on the generation. v2 was ProSAFE only, v3 introduced a web interface. See https://community.netgear.com/t5/Smart-Plus-Click-Switches/GS108E-unable-to-reach-web-interface-unable-to-change-password/m-p/1201583/highlight/true#M4690

Just had a thought: what is the management IP address of each switch? Are they identical, or different? Is there any chance there might be some IP collision going on?

Lastly, it might help you to troubleshoot if you draw a diagram of every connection and note which ports are trunk ports, which are access ports, and which VLANs are present on each. Then double-check the switch management VLAN configuration (and IP address configuration) to look for any conflicts.

A point about VLANs: even on the same L3 subnet, traffic cannot cross to another L2 VLAN. The other device might have a unique address in the same subnet, but if it's in a different VLAN it might as well be invisible.

If you're going to mix VLANs, it might be easier to introduce separate subnets and routing as well.

Whatever ID the VLAN for management is, it should be trunked anyway, since I'm using "Simple 802.1q-based" VLANs (in Netgear parlance), where the only choice for a port is either a specific VLAN or "All" (and I assume they must all be tagged as they are). Indeed, VLAN communication itself between all the devices works fine. Inter-VLAN routing is only made by Router and it works (it's very limited, as the VLAN are used for segregation of a private LAN, a guest LAN and a management-only LAN if some password gets lost).

EDIT
Clarification - VLAN1 is on 192.168.1.xxx. All the assigned switch addresses are in this subnet. VLAN2 and VLAN3 have address resp. in the ranges 192.168.2.xxx and 192.168.3.xxx.

And by the way, I do have stickers on all the switches with port->VLAN assignment written out for reference :wink:

So, if I've understood:

All four switches have their management addresses in VLAN 1, on subnet 192.168.1.0/24.

The router has an interface with an address in 192.168.1.0/24.

PC 1 and PC 2 are both in VLAN 1 and have addresses in 192.168.1.0/24.

Is that correct?

Yes @iplaywithtoys, you're correct.

However, my switches don't actually say "management address", they only refer to "(switch) IP address", which I assume to be the same thing.

And PC02 has all 3 VLANs on its link. However, the only VLAN that it uses by default is VLAN1. Which is tagged. Which might be the issue! Maybe gs108e's only can be pinged on untagged VLANs, while the gs116e (which is v3, thanks for the hint on web management!) might be more sophisticated.

Sorry, force of habit from my day job. You're right; in this scenario they mean the same thing.

Does the router have any firewall rules governing what traffic it's allowed to generate and where it can send it?

If there are any, they wouldn't be in the usual Firewall -> Traffic Rules menu; they'd be on the Custom Rules tab instead.

Yes it does, but they're all disabled now (and have been for months). And it's just a series of MAC addresses to be blacklisted from the guest network (VLAN2). Random freeloaders who used to suck too much bandwidth in the past and have since disappeared, so I disabled the script.

Just to be sure, I connected Router and Switch00 via an additional ethernet cable on a VLAN1-only port. No change. However, a more effective test would require changing, e.g., the Switch00<->Switch01 link with a non-trunk link (untagged VLAN1 only).

If after doing this, I am able to ping Switch01 as well as Switch00 - but not Switch02 or Switch03 - this would likely mean that the issue is indeed with pinging gs108e's via a tagged VLAN connection.

Unfortunately, such a replacement isn't immediate and would benefit from some physical help for remote plugging/unplugging. Maybe one day I'll get around to it, just for the satisfaction of experimenting this hypothesis.

Thank you very much for your valuable help!

Taking my own advice, I added VLAN and subnet details to a diagram. It helps me think about what's going on when there's a problem to solve. I came up with this:

Is that a fair representation of your network (even if the exact IP addresses are different, are they definitely all in the same subnet?)?

Confirmed: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Smart-Plus-Click-Switches/GS108Ev3-Cannot-set-VLAN-for-management-interface/td-p/971240

I have a 108T, not E, which is why I can choose a VLAN for management. Apologies for the confusion.

1 Like

Yes, that's an accurate representation of my network, apart from trivial changes in the final octets.

I love your graphics by the way. How did you make that diagram?

1 Like