How to turn off the 2.4Ghz radio

Hi everyone, I have now eliminated the last 2.4GHz device on my network and want to completely disable (turn off) the 2.4GHz radio. I am using NetGear R7800 and tried setting “option disabled ‘1’” for “radio1”, but there is no indication that the radio is down and it can still scan for 2.4GHz access points. Does this mean it is still under on?
Is there a way to disable the radio for good?

1 Like

The scan button temporarily re-enables the radio to perform the scan. You could delete the wifi-device entirely to make sure it never transmits anything.

1 Like

Thx, I could try that. The “wifi status” currently shows ‘“up”: false’ for this radio. If I can trust that status, then It is all good. Just want to make sure there is no unnecessary RF radiation from that radio.

1 Like

@fantom-x, if you have an Android device you can use WiFiAnalyzer to check for any signals in the 2.4GHz range. Note that this only detects 802.11 signals from an access point. It does not show signals from clients, non-802.11 signals in the 2.4GHz range like Bluetooth, nor other radiation/interference caused by things like malfunctioning microwave ovens or fluorescent lights. For that you would need a spectrum analyzer. But it does do a good job of showing if the radio in your access point is on.

Try nvram set ath0_net_mode="disabled"