How to set-up radius client on OpenWrt

I want to create a radius client on openwrt to connect to my radius server which is on mikrotik.
Please help me to set-up radius client on openwrt

https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/network/wifi/freeradius

1 Like

For authenticating wifi users, hostapd (wpad) has RADIUS client built in. You need to switch to the full version of wpad not mini or basic though.

1 Like

can you tell me the steps ?

opkg update
opkg remove wpad-mini (or wpad-basic)
opkg install wpad

Then configure your AP as WPA Enterprise. Options are explained here:
https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/network/wifi/basic

1 Like

my question is
how to connect to a radius server ?

it is for the radius server not for openwrt radius client

1 Like

Hey,
I would join the question.

I want to authenticate my wireless clients using radius by mac address only, e.g. send mac as username.

Like dd-wrt Wireless → Wireless Security -> Radius (by specifying radius server and mac format)
Like routeros Security profile -> radius -> Mac Authentication.

Mac filter option support only static list.

May be i'm missing some package or setting?

i want radius authentication for SSH

Hi Alex,

Did you figure out how to authenticate wireless clients using radius by mac address, because I'm looking for such mechanism of authentication.

I have setup radius server and mikrotik. devices connected to openwrt router has to get authenticated using radius server using mac address. Please help me setting up radius in openwrt.

I am also stuck on this problem.

need help with this too...
Have hap AC ROSv7 with Userman as RADIUS Server and Mi AC2350 OpenWRT as RADIUS Client. Mikrotik always show error RADIUS not responding....

My Mi AC2350 act as RADIUS CLIENT, while hAPAC3 act as RADIUS SERVER, PPPoE SERVER. Mi AC2350 have hostapd-common and wpad-basic-wolfssl
From ur suggestion I remove wpad-basic-wolfssl and install (one by one, reboot and test) :

* wpad = got PPPoE link Error: Unknown error (AUTH_TOPEER_FAILED)
* wpad-wolfssl = same Error: Unknown error (AUTH_TOPEER_FAILED)
* wpad-openssl = same Error: Unknown error (AUTH_TOPEER_FAILED)

RADIUS secret and UserManager secret are exactly same.
PPPoE user name and password, both at UserManager and AC2350 PPPoE dialer are exactly same.

Now confuse where should I look. Anyone?

Today after Mikrotik update to ROS v7.4 PPPoE via RADIUS can connect. The problem now is UserManager 'user' PPPoE client can connect to Mikrotik PPPoE Server but when limitation is reach (timed and or by data volume) the PPPoE connection still active. Not disconnect.

So the main problem is Mikrotik side. :pray:

sound like can i connect openwrt with coova to mikrotik raduis server ?!

You can do that to freeradius, for example. I did that many times; whether MTs radius server works, needs to be evaluated. Problem here might be coova-chillis special radius functions, to be added to (freeradius) dictionary.