How to replace dropbear to openssh?

I want to replace dropbear to openssh on my custom firmware. Because dropbear + openssh-sftp-server are very buggy bundle.

But default openssh-server config prohibits root access. So I want to change openssh-server config in firmware. How?

There's an old wiki on this

4 Likes

It's not difficult for me to replace dropbear by openssh in the running machine.
My question is how to did it in firmware.

Sorry I can't post detailed instructions right now.
Basically you need to use imagebuilder and remove dropbear and add openssh something like PACKAGES="openssh-server -dropbear" and add custom file with openssh config FILES="files/" where you'll create /etc/ssh/sshd file structure with content

PermitRootLogin yes
AuthorizedKeysFile .ssh/authorized_keys
Subsystem sftp /usr/lib/sftp-server
2 Likes

I build my own firmware because standard firmware not good for my purposes. So what does this have to do with Image Builder?

Again: How to change config of openssh-server in firmware, created from scratch?

imagebuilder is the official tool for building your own firmware with any customizations you want (for both master and stable branches 19.07/18.06)
But if you like building from source the only way I know to customize it is to change the package source code

1 Like

See wiki
https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/services/ssh/openssh_instead_dropbear

it also has translation to Russian

Use the uci-defaults.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.