How to reach a DLNA server behind a WDS-Bridge?

I've got the following setup:

Twonky              OpenWrt 
DLNA Server <=====> WDS-Bridge <-----> FritzBox <=====> Internet
                       |                  |
                       |                  |
                       V                  V  
                DLNA reachable      DLNA not reachable

==> Cable
  --> WiFi

The WDS-bridge has a single LAN interface with a static IP address = 192.168.178.22 within the same net as the FritzBox = 192.168.178.1.

I can reach the Twonky DLNA server when I'm connected to the WDS-Bridge, but not when I'm connected to the FritzBox. I've read some documentations and set the "Enable IGMP snooping" for the br-lan bridge device. However, this has no impact as well as firwall on/off.

Any ideas what else I could try?

can you do a TCPDUMP or similar in each subnet? just to see if multicast is reaching everywhere..
as far as i have understood (not much :slight_smile: ) DLNA servers should work in this way:

• they announce themselves (or the clients discover them) through multicast messages on address 239.255.255.250 and port 1900 UDP
  • once they are discovered, the connection is on a TCP port (clients to server).

Commonly the issue with DLNA cross subnets (apart from the need to route also multicast messages, but you should be able to do that with something like SMCROUTE) is the TTL of multicast messages. You can try to increase it with something like

iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -i br-lan -d 239.255.255.250 -j TTL --ttl-inc 1

I've rebootet the FB and now packages for announcements are sent. However, sometimes the Twonky DLNA server disappears when connected directly to the FB. I'll further check this and let you know..

In the meantime, I've found out the following:

1. I cannot reach the UI of the DLNA server = 192.168.178.37 when connected to the FB. However, a SMB connection is possible.

2. I can reach all devices when connected to OpenWrt WDS-Bridge.

3. It is still unpredictable if the DLNA server shows up or not when connected to the FB. This could also be a problem of the Twonky server which is on a WD MyCloud EX2 Ultra NAS.

Does someone know, if FB supports WDS mode? Maybe this is the problem when setting up a landscape like the one I have..

OK, my FB model 7590 does not support WDS. This seems to be the answer to my question.

PS: After replacing the OpenWRT WDS bridge by a FritzBox 7580, everthing works perfectly!

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.