How to know associated stations type

Hello, can anyone figure out a way to know the associated stations type? I'm only able to know their mac address, IP address, and their hostname.

Welcome to the community, but you may want to be more specific about "station type". Sure you didn't mean desktop/notebook/phone/tablet thing, do you?

thank you for your reply, yes i want to know is the device a desktop/notebook/phone/tablet. is there a way to know this information.

Hmm, usually i just make guess from hostnames. Network interface vendor name is available by MAC address. Nmap is known for good at identifying remote system.

Or if it really matters, i would disconnect those stations if they dont tell me the station types, haha..

1 Like

hostapd-full provides "device taxonomy", which allows you to extract the signature of each connected device (you can do this via ubus).

Then you just need a database to compare to. A quick google found this result:

which you could use as a python script or just compare to the contents.

2 Likes

@lantis1008 thank you for your reply, i found this link https://w1.fi/cgit/hostap/commit/?id=04059ab84458f43dda9130e4fff745b268424b99 but i didn't found how to add and use the "device taxonomy" .

hostapd-full can be installed from OpenWrt. You may already have it.
If you don't have it, you will need to remove the old version of hostapd before installing hostapd-full.

Then you can use
ubus call hostapd.wlan0 get_clients
and/or wlan1 if you have a second radio.

1 Like

thank you @lantis1008, i found out that hostapd-full is present correctly.
but when i run the command hostapd_cli signature qq:rr:ss:tt:uu:vv it doesn't show me any think.

What about running that? It showed the signatures for me.
If that doesn't work, what version of OpenWrt are you using?

1 Like

ubus call hostapd.wlan0 get_clients works correctly but it's doesn't show me much info.
i'm working on a snapshot version because i'm working on a Raspberry Pi 3B+.

What snapshot? Exact version.
And exact version of hostapd full.

hostapd version : hostapd v2.9
OpenWRT version : openwrt release

It doesn't look like you have hostapd-full installed. Check with opkg.