How to install Docker engine

Hello

I was trying to install docker engine on my x86 machine running on VirtualBox powered by OpenWRT Operating System. Can someone help me install Docker engine one OpenWRT.

and .... ?

root@whale:[~]#opkg list-installed | grep docker
docker - 20.10.12-1
docker-compose - 1.28.2-1
dockerd - 20.10.12-1
luci-app-dockerman - v0.5.13
luci-lib-docker - git-21.167.46325-83f6606
python3-docker - 4.4.1-1
python3-dockerpty - 0.4.1-3
1 Like

and install ubuntu alpine base image and check some networking for a project. I will be executing the commands in the container

I dont find any docker demon installed in the kernal now. I am currently using OpenWRT 19.07.2 a stable release

I'd start here: https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/virtualization/docker_host

Also, look into LXC containers - the software selection is less but I know Alpine is on there.

1 Like

Hello, now i know that docker is installed but I have this error. can someone help to overcome this issue?

"Cannot connect to the Docker daemon at unix:///var/run/docker.sock. Is the docker daemon running?"

I see that dockerd is not installed and tried to install with the opkg install dockerd, but i am getting response as memory low. i have created with heavy RAM on my VM.

you sure memory == RAM and not disk ?

1 Like

Yes i am sure that it is RAM and not the flash. But i dont know how it has occupied 4GB almost. Could you please help me to remove the unwanted packages and install the deamon of Docker?

"Cannot connect to the Docker daemon at unix:///var/run/docker.sock. Is the docker daemon running?"

Any hints on how to solve this ?

Restart Docker.

1 Like

Thanks ! :grinning:

hi, im trying to install docker and exactly the same happend to me...

Can you tell me if you solved it and how?

I installed it like this

opkg install docker docker-compose dockerd luci-app-dockerman

I don't remember exactly but I probably rebooted my device (aka OpenWRT) or just docker service (https://docs.docker.com/engine/reference/commandline/restart/).
After that, it worked well.