I'm a total networking noob so I need help with creating a new wireless access point but it should only allow communication with local devices in the LAN, in other words it should block access to the Internet (WAN?)
I'm guessing I can follow the guide for setting up a guest network mostly and then make some modifications, but that's where I need help, I have no idea how to do it.
If anybody can give me some instructions then that would be great
Thanks in advance!
Would this be a dedicated AP, only for devices with no internet access?
No, this would be my usual Wi-Fi router which serves internet to all devices in my home.
I think that you may get what you want by following the guest network guide, but in the firewall config
- do not setup forwarding from guest zone into wan zone,
- instead set forwarding from guest zone to lan zone.
I have not tried it, but that should enable the guest zone devices to communicate with devices in Lan but not be able to reach wan.
Thanks, I tried it by creating a new "Jail" zone and set it up to be able to access LAN:
and also added some relevant traffic rules:
Unfortunately I cannot ping any of my devices connected to the normal LAN network
FYI - the 3 rules you screenshoted are covered by the zone rules.
- Allow-Jail-DNS and DHCP - covered by INPUT ACCEPT
- Allow-Jail-LAN is covered by the zone rule allowing
jail => lan itself
- Then you may need to provide the guest/jail and LAN settings
- You didn't setup both networks with the same IP range, correct?
Sure, which settings should I provide?
Nope, I'm dumb not stupid
Both of them are on a different subnet (192.168.3.xxx)