How to copy release config to my build env?

I installed OpenWrt 18.06 on a Raspberry Pi 3 B, and it's running great, but I want to mount an NFS volume, and NFS doesn't seem to be included. Fine, the docs say I should install kmod-fs-nfs but I'm guessing I need nfs-utils as well. However, they don't come up as available packages, so I ended up looking to do my own build, following the quickstart image building guide.

One thing is not clear to me though: if I use only the defaults in make menuconfig, will I basically get the same image as what I downloaded? Alternatively, is there a way to copy the config used to build the official release build to my build environment, and then customise it?

Yes.
The release config is really simple:
practically just the defaults for your device plus LuCI GUI.

(in addition, a few kernel debugging options are tweaked, but nothing relevant.)

Simply just select your device and LuCI, and you get the "official release config".

2 Likes

With the notable exception of LuCI, yes. Copying the release config.seed will result in a build intended for a buildbot, which builds everything and is not appropriate for self-builds (and usually fails). Looking at that file and the output of ./scripts/diffconfig.sh can help highlight things you may want to change.

3 Likes