How to compile a custom kernel in LEDE

Hi All,

I have some proprietary kernel drivers .. i.e some .ko files and these drivers are not compatible with the kernel of LEDE.

Because of it i want to compile a custom kernel (2.6.32 or 3.4 or something other than 4.8 of LEDE). Let me know if we have any readymade solution for it.
If there any workaround available then please let me know.

Thanks in advance

Try EXTERNAL_KERNEL_TREE and expect a lot of problems running kernel without LEDE patches.

in menuconfig
.Advanced configuration options (for developers)

there are options for "Use external kernel tree" and "Enter git branch to clone" and other relevant options.

Before i waste some more hours .. please suggest the how it does it.
How config file is taken .. can i use make kernel_menuconfig with my "external kernel tree" or i have to first compile the kernel ..

In summary provide me steps in a complete layman way to have different kernel ..

Thanks in advance

Oh, don't be that lazy :wink: It's not about hours. Just try "make kernel_menuconfig" and see if .config was updated and if your new fancy driver/whatever gets compiled.

thanks for your suggestion for not being "lazy" :slight_smile:

I have tried all these things .. make menuconfig .. kernel_config .. kernel_nconfig .. kernel_oldconfig

already tried these and no success ..

I have followed below method to changing it ...

At last i think playing with different kernel version is not supported in LEDE !! correct me if i am wrong ..

thanks for your suggestion for not being "lazy" :slight_smile:

I have tried all these things .. make menuconfig .. kernel_config .. kernel_nconfig .. kernel_oldconfig

already tried these and no success ..

I have followed below method to changing it ...

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/38372757/totally-new-kernel-on-openwrt

At last i think playing with different kernel version is not supported in LEDE !! correct me if i am wrong ..

It's supported, there is a way to specify an external kernel (although without a
lot of the OpenWRT/LEDE patches, that kernel is going to have trouble working).
I beleive that it works exactly the same way it does on OpenWRT/

a make menuconfig will let you set custom options on the kernel included with
LEDE/OpenWRT. There is a menu for the kernel and if you dive down that you will
find all the kernel configs you are familiar with.

David Lang

I'm sorry, can you please point out how to configure a distributed LEDE kernel with a particular architecture? my problem is that I have some via C3 board with 821c686b chipset that is using PATA ide, and it seem that the precompiled version of the lede Kernel didn't provide support for that chipset.

This thread is over a year old, would suggest making a new thread, and not reviving this one.