How to check speed on PPoE interface

I got my full fibre yesterday and i want to test the speed and connection .Speedtest.net shows max about 120mbps. How do i check the speed of my ont or modem to the Openreach server? 2) is there some thing to do to get full speed. I tried even speedtest-cli using python on the openwrt box but not much difference.

Check if the ISP have som speed test site set up, but assuming the ONT & modem are capable of delivering the speed you got/paid for, you'll probably get it, since the traffic stays within the ISPs own network.

Define (value of) full speed, and what devices you use.

I am supposed to get 330 plus download and 50 mbps upload and on wifi 5 g i should atleast get something near that.. Even from ssh it shows 100 mbps. Looks like something is not right or speedtest doesnt work . Its not dependent on the devices. Nothing major downloading data more than 20 mb... The Openreach guy who installed ONR said it will take time for the speed to come up(may be something like DLM in DSL) but they just install and go off since most things are done automatically for fibre

by devices I mean your router, etc ...

the decrease in speed might be due to people working from home, my 1/1 gbit dropped in speed when the corona restrictions kicked in.

the 330+/50 is probably only guaranteed within the ISPs own network, there's no speed guarantee on internet.

yes but its not even closer. Mine went from 20mbps to 330 but issue is i want to see the connection speed of PPOE to the server which some modems like TP link shows. I am am not sure how to see this and also how to check speedtest to raise an issue since my area is in testing phase for Fibre

to what server ?

are we talking about ADSL / VDSL ?

With ethernet/fiber there's no "speed", the port is running at 100mbit, 1gbit, or higher, the speed limit is enforced upstream.

i think the cat cable also influences the speed . Some cables allow only 100 mbps . I have cat 5 E .I want to check if the link is in full speed ,May be some where in the openwrt or Ont it might say how much is the speed of the connection.

Cat5E cables are capable of delivering up to 5Gbit, even 10, at shorter distances.
You will be able to see the negotiated link speed between the two ports/devices,
but it has nothing to do with the actual speed of your internet connection, unless
the negotiated speed is lower than the speed paid for.

where do i see this? one thing i noticed is swithing off the ONT and turning back on increases the speed. But speedtest-cli is always showing 80 mbps while speedtest.net on browser shows varying speed upto 303 mbps..

what this ?

running speedtest-cli where ?

Typically on true fiber what happens is that your contracted speed is <= the maximum speed the fiber can carry with the equipment your ISP uses. Often ISPs use point-to-multi-ppoint PON (which saves cost compared to full point-to-point AON) and all users in a "segment" share the segment's capacity (like in most GPON deployments up to 128 IIRC users share 2.4/1.2 Gbps in a segment). Then the ISP uses a traffic policer or shaper somewhere on his side upstream of the fiber termination unit, and it is this shaper that sets your speed limit (unless the segment is congested at which point your limit will be the share of the segment's capacity the system deals out). So the point is unlike in DSL where often ISPs only allow synchronization slightly above the contracted speed, with fiber your modem/ONT should show full segment speed, which is not really diagnostic of how much speed you can expect to measure on your link.
If you run a speedtest off-peak usage hours you mostly should measure the goodput that corresponds to your contracted maximum speed, so ~330 Mbps in your case.
If you can not reach that speed, my first stop would be to check whether your router can actually route at above the 120 Mbps that you measured as maximum. See the Measured goodput in speed tests with SQM is considerably lower than without at the SQM wiki entry (you probably do not run SQM, but that section deals with how to assess CPU overload on an OpenWrt router in general and that is independent of SQM).
If your CPU is not overloaded, and the ethernet speed between modem/ONT and router is >= 1 Gbps, I probably would call the ISP (after giving the link a few days to "burn-in", while in no means required it is possible that your ISP ramps up the shaper speed over the course of a few days, but after a week I would holler).

on the router ,i am running speedtest-cli
2) I was refering to the picture which you pasted showing all the lan ports with speed. I dont see in Lede

LEDE ? time to upgrade ....

1 Like

Ah, that is a problematic approach, if you want to assess your rputer's routing/firewalling/NAT capabilities, because running the speedtest itself is going to require CPU cycles that then might be lacking for the core duties of your router. Unless you have a massively over-CPUd router, I would not put too much stock into the results from a speedtest run on the router itself. What results do you see when you run the speedtest from a computer that is connected to the the router via ethernet cable (and negitiates Gigabit ethernet with the router successfully)?

2 Likes