How to block ads on weak router?

I own this one n

I need to block ads on it. Unfortunately there is no Adguard home. External DNS is no-go because I need to block not only ads but Google domains etc.

I know I can have personal external DNS resolver. I tried. Ran into limit of requests and prompted to pay. This is also no-go…

So, how to do it locally?

Try this https://github.com/lynxthecat/adblock-lean works like a charm for routers with low flash space.

If you’re having difficulties setting it up than you can ask here Adblock-lean: set up adblock using dnsmasq blocklist

1 Like

The adblock-fast which is already in OpenWrt repo and has a WebUI can do everything adblock-lean does and much more with a similar footprint.

You can also use the https-dns-proxy with a customizable adblocking DoH server, that would allow you to use much larger blocklists (as they are hosted off-router), but without customization that adblock-fast allows.

1 Like

Can you share screenshots? I need to use https://dns.adguard-dns.com/dns-query as DOH resolver. As initial resolver 1.1.1.1 (no google DNS!)

Unfortunately, this is no go for me. I ran into limits and prompted to pay. But I don’t want to pay for DNS…

Can I see its screenshots too? Also can I have detailed guide?

I need to use this https://raw.githubusercontent.com/AdguardTeam/FiltersRegistry/master/filters/filter_15_DnsFilter/filter.txt and my custom filter to block Google and Facebook crap

You can find pretty well everything you want to know about @stangri ‘s work Here

1 Like

There's definitely more than one adblocking DoH resolver and as far as I know, most of them are totally free.

I have READMEs (linked from the page that @RuralRoots kindly posted) for all the packages and the READMEs usually include the WebUI screenshots.

Rather than counter this by pointing out flaws in adblock-fast, I will instead write that I think this statement is rather misleading and not entirely in keeping with the friendly spirit of mutual respect that we’ve enjoyed hitherto and I’d like to see remain!

adblock-lean and adblock-fast have different pros and cons and can happily co-exist together without us needing to trade criticisms, right?

I think we should state positively the features that our respective projects have, avoid negative comparisons, and let the users decide for themselves based on their individual use cases.

I hope this seems reasonable and fair?

2 Likes

For minimalism

you need to add them dns servers as forwarders, if you have space for either doh dot dnscrypt you can encrypt that data too.

2 Likes

I was going to suggest the same thing, but by building your own, on a free for life cloud host.

2 Likes

One can buy more powerful router if their bonzi buddy requires

I would actually just try adblock itself to start with and then see what problems you run into, once it loads into dnsmasq the block lists themselves don't take that much memory - and I've run mid-sized lists on similarly constrained devices (homehub5).

Can you share both of them?

As I wrote above I ran into limit on phone on their service and prompted to pay.

I am not billionaire. I don’t have so much money.

Flash already extended by usb stick. I am talking about RAM and CPU limitations…

What will you advise? Adblock? Or Adblock fast?

How? I don’t see such options

No way, public service has no limits and no chance to customize.

it needs extra package(s) on the router to encrypt upstream dns traffic

This one https://dns.adguard-dns.com/dns-query is free indeed. But not customisable

I will be ok to add only it, but I also need to block all Google/Meta/Twitter/Microsoft crap

Can you please share your thoughts how to do it?

HTTPS proxy, I know. I installed it but I don’t see how to set any configuration in it…

Just a minor discomfort in 10th year of routers service...

Flash already extended by usb stick. I am talking about RAM and CPU limitations…

As am, I. hence the use of 'memory' rather than 'flash'.

What will you advise? Adblock? Or Adblock fast?

Whatever you can get working - if at that point you run into low memory/cpu issues you can revisit the decision - unless you can quantify the problem though this is just premature optimization. Once they are up and running the adblock* packages work in more or less the same way (a blocklist loaded into a caching DNS server).

1 Like

Which one are you using? Can I see screenshot of settings to understand what to do next?

I use adblock, with these settings, but honestly just install something, try it and iterate:

config adblock 'global'
        option adb_debug '0'
        option adb_forcedns '0'
        option adb_safesearch '0'
        option adb_dnsfilereset '0'
        option adb_mail '0'
        option adb_backup '1'
        option adb_maxqueue '4'
        option adb_dns 'dnsmasq'
        option adb_trigger 'wan'
        option adb_repiface 'br-lan'
        option adb_reportdir '/run/adblock'
        option adb_backupdir '/run/adblock_cache'
        option adb_report '0'
        option adb_fetchutil 'curl'
        option adb_enabled '1'
        list adb_sources 'adguard_tracking'
        list adb_sources 'disconnect'
        list adb_sources 'firetv_tracking'
        list adb_sources 'games_tracking'
        list adb_sources 'smarttv_tracking'
        list adb_sources 'winspy'
        list adb_sources 'yoyo'

I restart the service overnight so that it picks up the new lists.

1 Like

Thank you very much! With this settings it works perfectly! :partying_face:

Can you please elaborate on that?

Please do, I won't take it personally, if anything it would help make it better.

I'm sorry I haven't kept up to date with adblock-lean development, so I'm probably missing out on some information, but my understanding is that adblock-lean:

• is not in OpenWrt repo
  • implements subset of adblock-fast functionality, ie: can download the dnsmasq conf file, just like adblock-fast can

Is that fair to say?

2 Likes