How many CPU cores and RAM in a x86-64 based PC could be supported by an x86-64 lede image

I've beening using openwrt-lede on various routers and
I'm planning to get a x86-64 PC to run openwrt-lede on.

I found some old information in https://wiki.openwrt.org/inbox/doc/openwrt_x86 saying that "Note that OpenWRT is targeted at low-end hardware and the build defaults may not be suit modern x86 hardware. For example, multi-processor support and >1GB RAM support may be missing. "

Is this note still alive?
Does this mean I have to build the image myself with some config modified before building instead of using the image from https://downloads.lede-project.org/releases/17.01.4/targets/x86/64/?
How many CPU cores and RAM in a x86-64 based PC could be supported or there is just no such restrictions?

Best Regard

As far as I know smp and large ram are not a problem, they work fine. It still is the case that openwrt isn't mainly intended for x86, BusyBox for example might be better replaced by bash and openssh and ntpd and a few others... But openwrt does work and has a convenient config system and firewall and Luci etc so it's not like it's a bad choice.

You might consider grabbing the full iproute2 and ebtables and a few other key items since space will not be an issue.

Dlakelan, Thank you very much!

Mainly for amusement, I've run it on a Xeon E3-1265L 4-core, 8-thread processor with 16 GB of RAM. The warnings are reasonable as the focus for many years has been single-core, constrained CPU and RAM systems with barely enough flash to hold the basics. While a reasonable amount of work has been done to tune the performance of multi-core ARM devices, the x86 support tends to be more "straight Linux". Not to say it's bad; it just hasn't gotten as much focus under OpenWRT (though plenty with the various Linux-based distros).

If you do decide to run on a multi-core device and have the RAM, I'd strongly suggest irqbalance. The recommendations to use the "full" versions of utility software that you use regularly are excellent as well.

Thanks, Jeff.
I'll definitly give irqbalance a try!

I've been using LEDE Reboot 17.01.4 as my main router on a 4 core Intel mini-PC with 2 GB RAM for 2 months now. All cores and memory above 1 GB are detected just fine:

root@LEDE:~# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor	: 0
vendor_id	: GenuineIntel
cpu family	: 6
model		: 76
model name	: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU  N3160  @ 1.60GHz
stepping	: 4
microcode	: 0x40a
cpu MHz		: 560.000
cache size	: 1024 KB
physical id	: 0
siblings	: 4
core id		: 0
cpu cores	: 4
root@LEDE:~# free
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:       1960560      75824    1884736       2484       2596      20752
-/+ buffers/cache:      52476    1908084
Swap:            0          0          0

Thanks for your info, Ralpho

Now I decided to buy a new linux box with 4-core CPU and 8G RAM!
I'm going to replace my cisco router with that one.

1 Like

Working for me too:

root@OpenWrt:~# cat /proc/cpuinfo

processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 42
model name      : Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz
stepping        : 7
microcode       : 0x14
cpu MHz         : 1596.661
cache size      : 6144 KB