How can we make the lantiq xrx200 devices faster

impressive. So in this case the 4 patches you mentioned in your earlier post? If I understand correctly then most of them were sent upstream and it might take some time until they are pulled in openwrt?

I have installed the patch you mentioned, and saw the message again today, this also gave me a short
hiccup in the network. Any other ideas on what I can try/test? maybe the IRQ balancing? I just saw your commit here which seems to contain all patches you previously mentioned.

Weird also is that it seemed to coincide with a dsl connection drop

[61678.440916] lantiq,xrx200-net 1e10b308.eth eth0: tx ring full

Are you connected to the router with a 100M link?

yes correct, it's an older PLC adapter to which the port is connected, only 100M.

None of my patches solve this problem. My patches increase the performance of the CPU port. Probably the faster the CPU port, the more frequently these messages appear on the console. This is because the CPU is connected to the switch with a 1GBps link, and your device is connected to the switch with a 100Mbps link. The CPU can send data faster than the switch forwards it over a slow link and the buffers run out quickly. There can be a maximum of 255 buffers per TX channel.

Good news. Some of the performance-enhancing patches were merged yesterday.


@olek210 Does this branch contain all of these patches? I'd like to test them out and it would save me some time to apply the diffs to the openwrt repo myself.

There is also a PR that increases efficiency. It contains the previously mentioned patches.

im testing this currently, one thing I cant confirm is whether it's possible to have a port carry 2 tagged vlans on it

1 is ok, I haven't confirmed 2 work

Are you testing QinQ?

no, just basically want a public lan and a private lan with 1 port tagged in on both
maybe it's just the difficulty of DSA and UCI config or perhaps the vlan id was too high or something
i'll try again later

everything seems stable with your performance branch, been up for 3-4 days now no problems

My patches have been applied to the master in 7e484b9.


Is that from WAN to LAN? I can only get 150mbps from wan to lan, on lan to lan I get 950 so there its great

Measurement results are between LAN and WAN. I can get 700Mbps with software flow offload enabled.

how about WIFI to WAN? I'll dig out my ethernet and tran LAN to WAN also.

Also are your changes@olek210 in the latest snapshot builds, or do I need to build a custom image.

I cannot get above 150mbps on WAN to LAN, but 700 to 900 on LAN to LAN. I wonder what I can do to investigate cause and difference.

The patch was applied on 16/01/2022, any snapshot build after that date include that commit.

Probably the contract with your ISP limits your WAN speed around 150 MBps (or a bit above that but software overhead and network congestion always degrade maximum obtainable speed).

Wan speed over ethernt from isp cable modem in router mode is
370mbps. I ran snapshot from 18 Jan, tried to upgrade to latest one last night and bricked the bloody thing. Sys upgrade failed to reboot and the led turns briefly green then red.

Don't have serial port and hw mod so unless there is a way out of that it's going in the trash.

There could be a way.
I updated from stable to 16-Jan snapshot and there were some problems (network configuration changed), but I finally solved the situation using the reset button.

See Reset button problem in 19.07.1 on BT Home Hub 5A

I used the first method: Holding reset down while powering up until the LED starts flashing (green on this device) and the device goes into failsafe mode (with rapid red LED flashing on this device).
You can try to use firstboot & reboot now commands or you can even send a previous version of openwrt via SCP and perform another upgrade.

Give it a try & good luck.

Sorry for not being contributing to the speed test, but my Internet connection is 100mb, so I cannot see any difference.