How 802.11ax AP with 2.5 Gbps WAN can support 4.8Gbps on 5Ghz channel?

Hey everyone,

I found a new TP-link router [Archer AX 11000] (https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/wifi-router/archer-ax11000/). As per the router config, it has 2.5Gbps WAN (backhaul) but can support 4.8 Gbps over the air on 5Ghz channel. How is it possible? I am not able to understand the science behind this. Can they transmit out more than what is coming in?

Kindly explain in the layman terms.

Regards,

From wifi to wifi device within the LAN, (most probably) based on max theoretical calculations, nowhere near real life performance.

1 Like

Marketing hype tends to overlook details such as the real world

2 Likes

yeah - it's been the same for 10 years since wifi5 (802.11ac) came up as draft - everybody just adds up link rates, rounds up the result and markets it as 1200,1900, 2400 and now this 11000.
I think people on this forum already noticed it's a just a marketing hype with no real world transfer rates backing it up

1 Like

Those rates are realistically achievable if the AP is repeating only on the wireless spectrum, e.g. 802.11s. Doing more in less time is always desirable when the spectrum is shared, even though the PR and marketing makes it seems like "whole spectrum is j00rz, d00d" :vampire:

This begs the question, however: are there any openwrt users with 11ax devices that have been able to do link bonding, or e.g. the Ubiquiti U6-LR AP - I understand the ethernet connector has 2.5Gbit capabilities: do the openwrt drivers and software support this today?

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.