Help pre-select new OpenWrt One logo in the poll

You may already know that there's an upcoming hardware design named OpenWrt One, which is expected to be available in the near future. Naturally, this significant milestone calls for an appropriate logo :wink:

Logo variant A

Logo variant B

Logo variant C

Logo variant D

Logo variant E

I'm reaching out to request your participation in a preliminary vote over the next 3 days, where I'd like you to choose your preferred option from among 5 variants. Your selection will help me determine which variant to nominate in the official vote, as outlined in the project rules. Thanks for help!

• Logo variant A
  • Logo variant B
  • Logo variant C
  • Logo variant D
  • Logo variant E
  • None of the above
0 voters
3 Likes

Needs a caption:
"One firmware/device to rule them all"?

Although I like the "wedge shape" underneath the logo, I just voted "None of the above" for a couple reasons:

1. It violates our style guide for use of the logo. See https://github.com/openwrt/branding/blob/master/openwrt-styleguide.pdf All these variations seem to violate one of the "misuse" rules by adding elements to the logo. They also only have two arcs instead of the three arcs in the "o".

2. This is a "clever" use of (a variation of) the OpenWrt logo as the initial "O" of OpenWrt. But in our next 20 years, there will likely be an OpenWrt Two, Three, etc. I would prefer to choose the (unaltered) Logo with the word "one" (or "two" or "three"...) next to it. I would preserve the wedge underline shape, though, to indicate that it's all one mark.

Thanks for listening.

8 Likes

@ynezz I cast my vote, but it honestly feels like splitting hairs, they are all good despite their minor differences, I would have added an option "All of the above". as well. :wink:

@richb-hanover-priv Maybe in 10 years it will be OpenWrt One 2034 (for smaller form-factor) and OpenWrt TwO (for larger one).

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: OpenWrt One - celebrating 20 years of OpenWrt

That could be a name that lasts forever: OpenWRT t00.
Yeah, I'm old and l33tsp33k is still c00l.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: OpenWrt One - celebrating 20 years of OpenWrt

That just makes OpenWRT t00 better!

Looks great but shouldn't it follow the trademark guidelines?

I kept thinking something looked slightly off, and it's the WiFi radio signal bars — the official OpenWrt logo always has 3 bars (as seen below), but the samples for voting only have 2 bars.

3 Likes

I just voted "None of the above" for a couple reasons:

I'm doing this mostly for this type of feedback, so thanks for providing it!

It violates our style guide for use of the logo

IMO its completely different logo, so its going to have a different logo manual.

This is a "clever" use of (a variation of) the OpenWrt logo as the initial "O" of OpenWrt.

On the other hand, it might as well cause visual issues, once you've OpenWrt and One logos together in one place. In use cases where you would use just One logo alone, it might help connecting it to OpenWrt brand rather quickly? So lets see how that works out.

But in our next 20 years, there will likely be an OpenWrt Two, Three, etc.

Premature optimization :slight_smile: We need to get this out of the door soon.

Additionally I don't think, that this numbering based product naming scheme is going to work in the long run, I for example expect some trademark issues etc. so we would probably need to rethink it anyway and maybe have some Product_Brand where we could attach letter or number, so Product_Brand 2, Product_Brand 3 or have unique product code name for each product. It doesn't mean, that if the first product is One, that Two is mandatory. Next could be Varez for example, right?

Its different logo. In this use case, the OpenWrt logo is meant to be used as an icon for example, without the OpenWrt text. The One logo is not going to have such variant in the logo manual, you would be able to use only complete logo.

IMO it should be already possible? Choose up to 5 options

2 Likes

I read your post when you posted it and I have a different premonition:

It won't be 2, 3 ,4 etc. We are too smart for that.
It will be v1, v2, v3 etc.

Yes: I still want to change the name. It is not even a beta.
One name to rule them, versions for new builds or tweaks.
The Pi4 v1.4 is still a Pi4; it just has some more circuits than the v1 and, by default, runs 300Mhz faster.
Current Firmware is 23.05.03 but it is still OpwnWRT.

Are we going to have >230,503 different names for the hardware?
The boards printed with 'one' can just be collectables.

How about 'OpenBoard' V.∞

This is "OpenWrt" - it says so on the tin. It is not a "new" product." If there's a rush, we shouldn't do new things.

I composed the following in a couple minutes, snagging the official SVG logo from the github repo and using a web font package to create the "one" in the (official) Galano Classic SemiBold font. (I didn't try to replicate the wedge-shaped underline, but would like to see it.)

2 Likes

Do we want to see something like the One X (meaning 10) down the road? Of course nothing is written in stone.

Where do you envision "v#" being used?

OpenWrt One v1 (the first and currently being designed version)
OpenWrt One v2 ...
OpenWrt One 10 or X

but a different model comes along called

OpenWrt X v1
OpenWrt X v2 ...

that's where it can get unnecessarily confusing to me.

Also here's my (not serious) edit:

2 Likes

The same place we see it on all routers?

Yes, it does get, totally, confusing when we are trying to flash a V4 router with 128/256 that is now using a Broadcom chip and not the Realtek chip the V1 with 32/64 used.
It is surprising we don't brick them 90% of the time.

Only logo that makes sense till now.

The «O» logo is already the logo for Openwrt, so the logo can’t be the leading letter for a device name. Whatcha gonna do when «two» is released, name it «tw[logo]»?

Edit: didnt read the whole thread before replying but at least I’m not the only one

Honestly the «O» logo is already taken by Openwrt, all variants of doing something similar with the «O» just feels dated and uncreative.

And besides you can’t have a device name of a brand using a similar logo (but not the same) for the device name. «Openwrt One» will look ridiculous.

«Just avoid using Openwrt and one together then»
That’s like avoiding using «Apple» and «iPhone» together.

Etc etc

If there's a rush, we shouldn't do new things.

One is about hardware, and in such cases I believe, that time to market is one of the key aspects for the project's success.

«Openwrt One» will look ridiculous.

Yep, I had the same concerns, but seems to be good enough.

A was the best

I like that one.

1 Like

E and C are super close, would chose one of those if I had to. Probably E