Help Please installation nightmare!

Naturally GUI is not connecting either for luci.

You have installed a snapshot image. Read the link for instructions how to install Luci, which is not installed by default in snapshots.

You can change the lan ip quickly from ssh.
2 Likes

Snapshot builds don't have Luci.

Connect only the router to your PC (do not connect the PC or router to any other networks) and log in with ssh. Best thing would be to upgrade to 19.07.4 release build, which does have Luci.

If you're running Windows 10 you can use the CLI ssh which is (for this use case) simpler than putty. Open a Command Prompt window and type ssh root@192.168.1.1

2 Likes

I have tried telnet with the error code of unreachable host. I have downloaded and tried Putty and with it I get no route message. With Winscp and windows 10 SSH client both give connection timed out error message. When I ping I get destination host unreachable. Windows 10 SSH also gives port 22 : connection timed out error message. I have set up new rules to allow port 22 and port 23 to be open. I have done tracert and got destination host unreachable. I have went in and changed my ip address for Ethernet card in windows 10. I have done a dns cache flush via command as well. I have no firewall or any malware turned on. I am using Windows 10. I have no clue as to what to do next. I am not tech savy and have done a lot of reading and trying and I am just about to take a baseball bat to this thing. I have checked ipconfig and it gives up address as 192.168.1.2 and I have tried the above methods with it as well and only difference is it gives a connection denied error code. I have also tried to tftp into the router and I keep getting a canā€™t open file message or a canā€™t read local file message. I have changed the file folders, made sure it is saved and is a.bin folder. I have tried windows tftp client, tftpd64.exe and solar windstftp 64. All get same message!!! I have tried to fail safe... the router no matter how long you hold the reset button before, during and after power button the lights do not flash like when itā€™s in fail safe. I have tried to boot it at 192.168.1.1/24. I have literally tried everything I can think of and I have no idea what is wrong with it. What Iā€™m not doing! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Make sure that you connect on a LAN port. WAN will not work.
Setup your PC to acquire settings by DHCP.
After you connect the cable from the PC to the router verify that it got all settings correctly. ipconfig /all in windows ip -4 addr; ip -4 ro in linux.
If it still doesn't report anything there is the option of connecting over IPv6, which works no matter what is messed up in IPv4.

1 Like

If the router is not answering at 192.168.1.1 it is probably not running with default settings. Either failsafe or reset to default will start it up with default settings.

For failsafe turn on and watch it start to boot up. Exactly when the power LED starts flashing rapidly, press and release the reset button several times. If you were successful in initiating failsafe, the LED will flash even more rapidly. It will stay flashing very rapidly until you are through with failsafe and reboot it.

For reset to defaults power up and allow OpenWrt to boot fully -- the LED should flash rapidly then slowly then on steady. Then press and hold the reset button for 5 seconds or more and release it. After a few seconds all the LEDs should blink and the router reboot. Allow to boot fully again (which will take more time than usual in the slow blink phase, since the filesystem is being reformatted) then log in.

Some models use the WPS button instead of the reset button for these functions.

3 Likes

The led light never rapidly blinks. I have tried the wps button and the reset button both individually after powering back on the router. All it does is flash the power led once. All the lights once. Then the led again once. I have had to use failsafe before and what it is doing now is not capable or appears capable of fail safe mode. I have also tried the 30 30 30 method. I have tried rapidly pressing wps. I have tried holding the reset button in for 10 secs then powering on and still holding the reset button for 10 more seconds. I also of course have it Lan 1 to Ethernet. With just the laptop and router connected. I would definitely agree it isnā€™t running at default settings. The weirdest thing is that when I type in 192.168.1.1 the luci screen comes up in the left corner right before it would normally show root and password box. I have got to just figure out how the heck to talk with this thing. Tftp files come back in command window as unreadable or can not open local file.

Ok so I enabled dhcp by taking the assigned IP address of 192.168.1.1 and changing it to acquire up address automatically and then I did ipconfig /all and in command it now show dhcp as enabled and autoconfig IP address comes back as 169.254.103.234
Subnet 255.255.0.0
Default 0.0.0.0
What does this mean?

It means that it was not able to get any IP from DHCP.
Is there any IPv6 in the list by any chance?

Did you force-install a factory bin through OpenWrt instead of using the sysupgrade? That will brick the router so it won't boot at all, which is what the LEDs seem to be showing.

TFTP recovery is then necessary.

1 Like

I used this file from openwrt firmware site http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/targets/ath79/generic/openwrt-ath79-generic-tplink_archer-c7-v4-squashfs-factory.bin

I can ssh into that IP address 169.254.103.234
However it does not take my root password?!
When I tried to tftp I keep getting the canā€™t read local file error? Any thoughts?

For link-local IPv6 address fe80::19c:87c7:d3c:67ea%14

I have no idea what that means.

Also no matter how I save the file it canā€™t read from local file. I do not know how to save the file so that it can be read by tftp server. This is beyond frustrating.

You can test the TFTP server running a TFTP client and transfer to yourself. A CLI-based TFTP client is included in Windows 10 once you enable it as a Windows feature.

2 Likes

Ok! I was able to tftp into it and get it back to factory reset!!! Finally!!! Important questions.... I need to make this router the tp link archer c7 v4 a second router for vpn on my WiFi home network off of my spectrum modem and router again. I know I need to flash it with openwrt firmware. I want to make sure I chose one that does in fact have luci on it. http://downloads.openwrt.org/releases/19.07.4/targets/ath79/generic/openwrt-19.07.4-ath79-generic-tplink_archer-c7-v4-squashfs-factory.bin
Does this file have luci in it? Or is it with out it again? Also, if it does have luci in it will I have to telnet into the router and ssh in to it first or will luci be installed already?

Also I want to thank you all for all of your help!!

It has Luci and you can access it by browser first thing the router boots up. Telnet is long gone. SSH works of course, but if you don't feel comfortable you can configure the device from Luci. However for a quick change of the lan interface IP it might be easier to just run the commands in SSH.

2 Likes

Okay Great thanks!!!! I again appreciate all of the help!!!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.