Hardware offloading not working on MikroTik RouterBOARD 951G-2HnD

Had this same issue with a MikroTik RouterBOARD 951G-2HnD.
Sadly, the only solution I have found was to revert back to OpenWrt 19.07.10 (which is the latest version before 23.05 for this particular model).

I remember testing this feature while it was still in snapshot stage: it worked on a R6220. Now I'm using this device as an AP so I can't tell anymore, but it seems reasonable to assume that it still works.

I just tried with 23.05.2 and 23.05.3 and it didn't work, so I was forced to go back to 19.07 where it was fine. I hope it will be fixed somehow...

I have just setup a R6220 with 23.05.3. Default settings, I just setup the password. I had to manually change the MAC on WAN to mimic the ISP router.

Without HW offloading : 470 Mbit/s, with HW offloading 930 Mbit/s in download. A few less in uploading. So it is working as expected.

Do you use PPPoE or anything related?

My ISP uses PPPoE.
From that post I see that it should be fixed on 22.03, but I can't test it because support for my router jumped from 19.07.10 to 23.05.0-rc3 and nothing in between.

The sad thing is that it worked very well on the old version, and now that this router was finally included on recent versions it's a shame that we lost this feature...

In the meantime DSA was introduced. This may also be part of the issue.
PPPoE need a software encapsulation, so the hardware acceleration can't be used. It seems logical.
Is there any reason for the absence of intermediate versions between 19 and 23 ?

There was something about the NAND flash and how it is managed, I think, that prevented timely update to this device. Only recently someone took the task to clear it and implement on the last OpenWRT version.

Anyway, what I wanted to report is that with the older version I achieve ~700Mbit/s but on the last one (equivalent configuration) this drops to ~190Mbit/s. I am more than willing to help testing fixes to this, but in the meantime I will keep the 19.07 release for obvious reasons...

1 Like