Hardware and other stuff needed for a migration to RPI4

Hi

At the moment OpenWRT is not stable for RPI4

Raspberry Pi 4 B snapshot https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/raspberry-pi-4-model-b/ Raspberry Pi 4 released View/Edit data

when it's stable I wish to migrate my current setup to RPI4, because more processing and memory power for Ad-Block.

List of supported and fully pre-configured adblock sources, already active sources are pre-selected.
To avoid OOM errors, please do not select too many lists!
List size information with the respective domain ranges as follows:
S (-10k), M (10k-30k) and L (30k-80k) should work for 128 MByte devices,
XL (80k-200k) should work for 256-512 MByte devices,
> • XXL (200k-) needs more RAM and Multicore support, e.g. x86 or raspberry devices.

I use DDG and found https://www.itix.fr/blog/install-openwrt-raspberry-pi/ and https://www.reddit.com/r/raspberry_pi/comments/dkb2wj/anybody_using_a_4b_as_a_home_router/

Questions:

• what is the Hardware required? RPI4 and SDcard? Or something like antennas?
  • In Reddit there is written that the range maybe not good. We live in old house with 2 floors. What do you recommend?
  • Is a serial connection really needed? I wish to use SSH and not buy more hardware.

I am using the UART Adapter. Once plugged in a free USB port, and the MacOS drivers installed (not needed on Linux), you can monitor the serial console of your Raspberry PI.

On MacOS :

screen /dev/tty.usbserial-MCBR88 115200

The only reason I know to use the serial console is when you brick a device. In the case of a RPi, I think it is far easier to move the SD card to a computer and edit it the files from there.

Many people using the RPi as a router has independent access points, or USB wireless adapters.

As the RPi has just one ethernet port, you will probably need another USB ethernet adapter, or a managed switch.

3 Likes

There are plenty of threads which answer these questions. Maybe a quick search before posting would've been sensible?

But anyway, in answer to your questions:

• You need the RPi4, an SD card, and power supply. As it has no built-in switch you will most likely need one of those as well. I'd recommend a managed switch, just get one with enough ports for your needs. And as @eduperez says I'd also recommend a USB ethernet adaptor (the TP-Link UE300 works well).
  • For WiFi get a separate AP. If your budget extends far enough I'd recommend something in the TP-Link EAP range or Ubiquiti's range of APs.
  • You don't need to use a serial connection. If anything goes wrong you can just pull the SD card out and stick it in your computer to fix any misconfigured files.

If you're going to move your setup to an RPi4 there's little point holding off imo. The only reason the openwrt image is only currently available as a snapshot is because there's been no OpenWRT release in the months since RPi4 support was added. My RPi4 has been up for 36 days now without issue and it would've been longer but I had a power outage.

3 Likes

In terms of reading the context, OP has not yet bought the device and appears to be doing pre-purchase research. How can she/he troubleshoot something she/he can't access as yet?

I'd suggest that English is a second language for many forum participants - you should not be so quick to criticize something that may be a translation issue.

4 Likes

No.

It's a snapshot release for RPI4. Other Open Source projects label snapshot as not for end users.

Soon I will block this a****** :face_vomiting:

other posters understand it and already answered

thanks

You both a experts and I will buy it. But can you explain me why? The RPI has an ethernet interface already? Is this not good?

Indoor 802.11n Access Point

*5GHz available

Available as three different Wi-Fi 802.11n models, the UniFi® AP is an Access Point ideal for deployment of high-performance wireless networks.

Faster, less expensive, 10x the client capacity:

Check out the UniFi AP AC

Models: UAP, UAP‑LR, UAP‑PRO

the other product I don't find with DDG https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffab&q=TP-Link+EAP&ia=web

Are those products "plug and play"? I connect them to RPI and boot up OpenWRT + restore my current config? Something else I need to do?

You can use the single ethernet port on the RPi4 for both WAN and LAN, but it is more complex to set up. By adding a USB ethernet adapter you can use the onboard ethernet port for LAN and the USB ethernet port for WAN.

You'll need to configure the AP, but you should follow the instructions that come with the device to do that.

1 Like

Old house, 2 floors. I have an old house w/ 3 floors and needed 2 AP's. Even if I had 2 floors I would need 2 AP's because I have some metal "walls" in front of my main AP.

1 Like

I'm in the process of setting up a Rpi4 as a router, I'm using a tp-link UE300 USB adaptor for WAN and it works fine, I'm then using a 8 port switch for the LAN and BT Whole Home Mesh wifi discs.... Apart from my troubles with PPPoE the system is stable enough for everyday use in my opinion.

1 Like

You don't have the power to block me.

I also am aware that you blocked a relevant posting.

Still interested in the migration...while others are not answering how.

Reasoning: I want to purchase a Pi...for exactly the reasons it seems the OP does.

So, now:

• I don't know the instability issue
  • So I don't understand the use case directly causing the need for a Pi (yet it's alluded to)
  • I don't know how to successfully migrate
  • And my post suggesting how has been flagged

Thanks for making the thread unfriendly for others interested in the Pi.

(It's also kinda odd, you give Thanks, Likes and Solutions in other thread(s); and cuss and call me an ANUS and make vulgar sexual references in other threads...so confusing...)

I also find it odd how the instability issue with the OP is not covered...I've never seen the Community not suggest the previous device may not be broken or ask how it is broken...to ensure the new device addresses the issue caused by the broken one.

1 Like

Yes, the RPi has one ethernet port, but most people want at least two on a router. If you need just one port, you do not need to buy an adapter.

2 Likes

Pi3 builds can run on a Pi4, with the limitation that it is in 32 bit mode so not all of a 4 or 8 GB RAM will be usable.

2 Likes

Thanks for recommendation.

Will work "TP-LINK Omada AC1200" fine? I checked UniFi® AP, but sadly too expensive for me.

For RPI I found https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/150123 Did anyone try it and it works?

Is this one of the models mentioned below?
Support for them has been proposed, but not integrated, not even in the OpenWrt snapshots yet:

1 Like

Not wanting to get into a fight with someone but I have migrated my Archer C7 set up across to the RPI4 (1GB)-and its running beautifully-yes, it has the snapshot builds which can be a pain to upgrade packages (or not!) but the CPU rarely goes above 5%, I have about 850MB of RAM spare (!) and 14GB of storage capacity! I'm running all sorts on it (netdata is particularly pretty).
I'm using the on-board eth0 as the LAN side-and a cheap USB 3.0 adaptor for the WAN side-wireless will only work on 5Ghz (Broadcom drivers) but the rest of the house is served by my Plume mesh pods-I may stick the old Archer C7 on as a dumb AP but I don't need it at the moment.
If you do it, get a really good thermal case to put the Pi in-it does get hot without one.
I cant wait till it makes it into the stable builds :slight_smile:

cheers
cabs

3 Likes