Google Wifi flashing - help

Hi,

I am following the instructions here:

I get to stage 4 (plug the usb in), and ... it never gets to stage 5. The LED does not turn off.

Can anyone that knows what they are doing help?

The powered hub seems to be working? It is supplying power. I cannot know whether it is sharing out the USB disks. It is one of these:

Obviously I have no disks plugged in while I perform the reset, and only plug one in when it gets to reset mode.

I have tried with 3 different USB drives, 2xUSB2, 1xUSB3.

TIA

according to https://openwrt.org/toh/google/wifi
4. Plug in USB stick containing Recovery image
5. LED should turn off, and recovery begins

Note that Recovery mode does not appear to work with all USB drives (for example, some newer USB 3.0 flash drives). If the device appears not to be accepting your USB drive, try swapping for a different one.

I do not have the device, but sure bet, the USB stick is not accepted, if the LED won’t turn off. Try a different stick.

My Google Wifi 2016 arrived today and I will be trying this at the weekend with a powered usb hub.

1 Like

Well, I've just tried by 5th USB key - one older USB2, one newer USB3. No joy.

Would be keen to hear of your progress.

How is it going?

Not bad, currently got four of them to get into, plus a dead gj2cq to take apart.

Just getting setup

1 Like

Ha, plenty to be working on then!

If you manage to get it working I would v much appreciate if you could share product details of the powered hub & usb disk you succeeded with please. - and any other feedback.

Thanks

Why are you using the hub?

According to the wiki page:

Tools required:
USB-C hub with power-delivery (to support both USB storage and USB-C power supply)

1 Like