Good news for OpenWrt MT76 drivers

Tested with WIFI ax CUDY 6 in relayd configuration

WIth OEM drivers
eab88fc6e2e721e583a779f4348bec0563c1aad4_2_690x408

With OpenWrt Firmware Version 22.03.3 r20028-43d71ad93e
Kernel Version 5.10.161

6687313de951122ad4d84ce236454e244362e1fb_2_690x410

Not perfect for uplink but very good for downlink

still think the non-vendor mt76 driver pretty much the only way to go for usb wireless on linux, it has been reliable for years
I have an old comfast MT7612U adapter that has even been working reliably in AP mode for a while now as well, i'm not sure if latency is super great but as far as just having tablets do basic media around the house it's fine, 32+ megabytes/sec in both directions connected to a rock64 running openwrt

Posting speedtests in the developers section should be something interesting.
But I only see speedtests. Where/what's the news?

2 Likes

Which model may I ask? I am looking for USB one nowadays.

Hi.
You are testing two features simultaneously: routing and wifi. How do you know the one that is the bottleneck? The relay means that you are using another wifi, so another bottleneck?

• perform LAN (eth) to LAN (wifi) bandwidth, with iperf3 and you will test the wifi efficiency.
  • perform LAN (eth) to WAN(eth) bandwith (with speedtest if you want) and you will test the WAN.

Just for info, the snapshot includes a patch that enhance HW offloading for even better performance. It will be available in the next major release. Does someone have perform test with kernel 5.15? I'm eager to test.

NB : delete your IP in the pictures.

Check out https://github.com/morrownr/USB-WiFi

Agreed, moved to the general section. There is nothing develop-y about this.

badulesia

sorry but i not use wan ... ( relayd )

Computer <- Lan -> OpenWrt WIFI 5 GHZ <- LiveBox 6 Orange -> Fiber 2 * 1 Gigabits

OpenWrt SNAPSHOT r22125-52ddb38469 / LuCI Master git-23.039.28596-41e9b8d
Kernel Version 5.15.94

Improvements with firewall -> Software flow offloading

download very good, but still weak for upload

You do use WAN on the OpenWrt router. No need of relayd, it's a double NAT.
So apparently you have better result with kernel 5.15? I will install kernel 5.15 on a EA7300v2 in a few days. Stay tuned.

I have to use wwan / relayd because it doesn't work with my LiveBox 6

-> With very old OpenWrt 17.01 & OEM drivers , PandoraBox or Padavan don't have to use relayd

Try to setup the Livebox in bridge mode (ok ... I'm asking for fun, I know the answer), or use a double NAT.

no possibility as:
Computer <- Lan -> OpenWrt WIFI 5 GHZ <- LiveBox 6 Orange -> Fibre 2*1 Gigabits

Run only Computer <- Lan -> OpenWrt 2 WPS <- WIFI -> OpenWrt 1 WPS <-Lan -> <- LiveBox 6 Orange -> Fibre 2*1 Gigabits

Still a little effort for upload speed

Also the STA/AP functionnality with my Livebox 6 (as with OpenWrt 1 WDS <- WIFI -> OpenWrt 2 WDS) so without using the relayd
As Pandorabox , PADAVAN, OpenWrt with OEM drivers & ....