GL.iNET Flint 2 (GL-MT6000) discussions

Interested in knowing if SNAPSHOT r24801 breaks wireless APs for anyone else. I updated with auc today and could not enable the wireless APs. The mesh configuration stayed working.

I had to revert to r24793 to get the APs working again.

This was the change that caused it and if you scroll down to the comments you'll see that @nbd has replied to it. So I'd assume he's on the case, although there's no issue report?

2 Likes

I did a fresh install (i.e. reset the settings) from Snapshot r24801 today and had no problems with wireless.

It did it to me I had to revert back to previous one. Finally I updated with stable 23.05 snapshot and everything it's working fine so far.

Thank you very much for sharing this information!

Are you also on the OEM Firmware?

I've flashed snapshot r24801 today, no issues so far. Not sure what changed but with this firmware the usb samba share is now a solid 112mb/s read/write on 1gbps ethernet and my AX200 wifi card can read at 85mb/s and write at 95-100mb/s... router CPU load is drastically down with samba compared to the official firmware.

1 Like

No, Iā€™m currently using OpenWrt snapshot from a few days ago: OpenWrt SNAPSHOT r24793-e691e2b302

1 Like

What's the point of having 2.5G WAN for this router?

2 x 2.5G Ports; 4 x 1G Ports
1 x WAN (2.5G), 1 x WAN/LAN (2.5G), 4 x LAN

If upgrading the internal network to 2.5 GbE is just getting started for most people, I can imagine it will take a even longer time for ISPs to provide 2.5G internet.
Wouldn't this have been a lot more useful to have and have one or two of the 1GbE for WAN. Can this be configured in OpenWRT?

1 x WAN (1G), 1 x WAN/LAN (1GbE)
2x2.5 GbE, 2x1GbE LAN

Hi, I've recently got hold of a Flint 2.

I'm new to openwrt and wondering at this point is it best to stick with the oem software, until there's a stable openwrt release for the router? I'm a noob when it comes to routers and would need it not to be crashing, as the rest of the family won't be pleased.

Else, I'm wondering whether I should just keep it boxed, and wait until the stable release - are we talking about weeks, or a couple of months, or many months wait? (Sorry, I know asking about software releases is annoying!).

Or if I were to install a snapshot, would I need to reconfigure everything again when installing an updated snapshot, and is that the case when installing a stable release after a snapshot?

Thanks

Above 1 Gbit internet isn't actually that rare in Europe. And if your ONT has a 2.5 GbE port (mine from 2019 does), then even with an 1000 Mbit connection, it'll be slightly faster (due to the protocol overhead limiting it on the 1 GbE port to ~900-950 Mbps).

Here in Hungary, we have 2000/1000 Mbit offers for ~18 EUR. I'm strongly considering upgrading my 1000/1000 connection, I just got the Flint 2 (retiring my trusty R7800), so I could actually make some use of it.
I wonder if it can handle 2000 Mbits (without SQM) on OpenWrt?

1 Like

Mine is happily running as the main router for the family on Snapshot software. They are blissfully unaware that I changed from a Netgear Wax206 as I set the SSID and password the same. That router also ran snapshots for months with no issue except when I fiddled with settings.

Ziply already has 2.5 GbE, along with 5, 10 and 50 GbE available at my address.

I have a 600/200 fiber-to-the-building connection, and did some testing with flent: comparing simple-fq_codel and cake (layercake or piece-of-cake, with different link-layer adjustments).

The results were similar as with my earlier routers: with 600/200, I seem to achieve a lower latency and even higher speeds with simple fq_codel than with either cake qdisc.

Practical limits in SQM have been 550 Mbit down, 190 Mbit up. Bufferbloat test gives easily A+ (+1 / +1 ms) with simple fq_codel.

None of the qdiscs seemed to choke the CPU, (irqbalance had balanced CPU cores), utilization. CPU cores had max 30-50% utilization in LuCI statistics.

Flent summary charts below, 1x simple, 2x pieceofcake, 3x layercake.
(note: flent charts show 1/4 of speed, as it is the average of 4 different traffic classes)

Simple had 18 ms latency and higher download speed (~530 Mbit), while cake had 25-30 ms average latency and lower download speed (~430-450Mbit). Simultaneous upload was ~170-180 Mbit with all of them, meaning combined down+up 600-700 Mbit/s traffic.

5 Likes

If I'm standing next to the router with my laptop connected by 2.4gbps 160mhz AX, I'm able to write to the usb samba share at 140-145mb/s, and that's writing to a NTFS share! I guess a 2.5gbe adapter for my desktop will be useful for USB share after all, it seems the router isn't a bottleneck.

2 Likes

Yep Flint 2 replaced my Netgear WAX206 both was using snapshot builds though both have been great.

However the Flint 2 is now my main network as i use 2.5Gbe systems in my network server wise. Then i use my Netgear WAX 206 in Wireless Bridge so that i can connect device in my room via ethernet then use WiFi to get to the main network.

LUCI shows good speeds as well for the WAX206

1441.3 Mbit/s, 80 MHz, HE-MCS 7, HE-NSS 4
1620.9 Mbit/s, 80 MHz, HE-MCS 10, HE-NSS 3

ofw is capable of those advertised 900mbps wireguard perf - if that matters to anyone

Hello!
In the original firmware, v4.5.2, users complain about reduced speed on the 2.4 Ghz network and frequent Wifi disconnection. Do these issues continue in the latest OpenWRT snapshot?

Does anyone achieve speeds over 100mbps on 2.4Ghz?

I had wifi drops on 4.5.4 and 4.5.5. on openwrt snapshot both 5ghz and 2.4ghz have been stable so far. I just tested and was able to achieve 180mbps / 20mb/s transfer rate on 2.4ghz band 20mhz width. Snapshot seems much more stable.

What snapshot do you use?
The latest versions I tried (around r24801 trough r24813) wireless was disabled and couldn't be activated.

I'm using r24801 with a fresh configuration