GL-iNet AX1800 new router - OpenWrt support?

A new firmware - GL.iNet AX1800 OpenWrt QSDK v1.1 (openwrt-ipq60xx-generic-glinet_gl-ax1800-v1.1-squashfs-nand-factory.bin)

Openwrt 21.12.5 said no password should not be set
It is
login : root
pass : password
Language will be the secound pulldown menu first option (system) then third tab on page. Need to logout and login after changing the language for it to take affect. (Some stuff does not translate UnBlock Netease Music for instance) Have not set up on network yet so packages are not updated. Seems to work

Works as advertised, although it seems max TX power running OpenWrt is a bit less than with original firmware, according to my client-side measurements.
Still plenty of range, though.
Moreover, there are NO WPA3 options available on the WiFi security tabs, even though WPA3 is available in the factory firmware. I would even have used the original firmware, but its builtin function to download and activate LuCi reproducibly failed to work and my use case (fast Wifi AP gw for a number of trunked vLans) can not be realized using their web GUI.

With this firmware and at that price (99 Eur), the Flint may become one of the most desirable OpenWRT Platforms in the market at the moment, IMHO. I strongly hope it will get official support soon.

Well i have a GL.Inet Flint, was shocked to see it had QSDK Openwrt 15.05.
Hoping for an offical OpenWRT build, i own a GL.Inet AR750 which runs on OpenWRT clean but was shocked their wasn't one for the Flint.

Was going to use it to replace the WRT32X i have too. Guess i will place it on the shelf for now. As currently the Flint can't even SQM well no matter what i try as it doesn't have cake sqm.

Got myself a CP210x UART TTL, just waiting on some other bits so i can place in the TTL full time so i can do some testing on any firmware(s) on it.

Just can't stand the issues of no Clean OpenWRT installs, as great as GL-iNets firmware UI is to get other some of the issue i have is a hackery to say the least.

New firmware 22.3.18 from 30/3/2022 available

Download: https://mega.nz/file/kUdSAT6K#ur6ESsgf5Hkbc5EYX_QOdVnf1pkBF9y9_Gj9dI_QaXQ

Make backup of settings before sysupgrade!

Info:
Wireguard & WiFi Scheduler are missing after update - must be reinstalled after update.

Wireguard speed has improved slightly to 600Mbit on my 1GBit connection.

Could you confirm the authenticity of this build Neo?

Same source as the QSDK 1.1 image.

The uploaded file (version QSDK 1.2) was also downloaded from the same site:

https://www.right.com.cn/forum/thread-6731542-1-1.html

Thanks. The firmware does not seem to want to install using conventional OpenWRT Luci method. Any suggestions?

Assume that you have to install QSDK 1.1 first and then sysupgrade 1.2.
That worked for me (see screenshot).

QSDK1.1 was bloated, so i guess 1.2 will be too.
Just waiting on when i can self compile without the bloat, i have tried already but it bricked my Flint till i recovered via uboot.

Thanks. I have managed to upgrade via QSDK 1.1, a firmware I have tried previously. The build is bloated and I have found that removing some of the unneeded software renders the Luci GUI inoperable. I am hoping that someone will be able to make a more "vanilla" stable build or that GL-iNet makes such a build available.

1 Like

Hi @Neo,

I installed QSDK 1.1 via uboot, booted ok but I uploaded QSDK 1.2 via web (sysupgrade) and this doesnt boot.

Should I reset settings or do something special?

Have successfully removed the modules I do not need. The router runs so top-notch with me - am very satisfied. I assume that a completely official image will come out soon.

Resetting or reinstalling should work. For me it worked right away.

Does it have the Wireless crashing issue? There is a few images out there based on CoolSnowWolf image where adding more then 1 SSID per radio will result in the system going into a reboot loop.

I found a few clean versions but they was having the reboot issue.

Now i have Serial access so should be easier to see whats going on.

2 Likes

It would seem that GL.Inet is now working on adding the flint to openwrt or at least right now to their gl-infra-builder as I am compiling it now.

Update: Right running a custom build to test with seems to do well using the GLiNet ifra builder for now. Only issue is if you enable 160MHz on Wireless it reboot loops, however i now have below 900ms ping when uploading its now 30ms max with sqm enabled! at last.

1 Like

Hi,

What commands are you using for compiling?, Im getting a ax1800 invalid profile.

Thanks you

git clone https://github.com/gl-inet/gl-infra-builder.git
cd ~/gl-infra-builder
python3 setup.py -c config-wlan-ap.yml
cd ~/gl-infra-builder/wlan-ap/openwrt
./scripts/gen_config.py target_wlan_ap-gl-ax1800 luci

However i will have a full build done soon enough with kmods like my Linksys WRT
builds.

With them commands it should build OpenWrt 21.02-SNAPSHOT r16273 with a 4.4.60 kernel with ease.

1 Like

Compiled and working, thanks you!!!

1 Like

Glad to hear it, i myself am having issues trying to get it to build the files correctly when i made edits inside make menuconfig keeps resulting in bricked router right now or it boots and there is no Wireless.

Its driving me potty right now. All i want to do is make a pre-setup image like i do with the WRT32x and then have everything compiled so opkg can be used to install and remove apps with their kmod dependency's for the 4.4.60 kernel.

I followed these instructions on Ubuntu 18.04, but the build fails with:

Build dependency: Please install ncurses. (Missing libncurses.so or ncurses.h)

My system does have ncurses installed, but I suspect it needs a version for the build, not the host OS version. Not sure how to proceed.