General OpenWrt support for Xiaomi AX3600 (Part 2)

Change wifi region. Some regions don’t allow that frequency.

After using Dawn and configure it (pain in the a**), Roaming is working very well. Even without 802.11 r/k/v .
The stock firmware probably using some kind of roaming daemons too.

1 Like

Same here with an iPhone 13pro and iPad Air M1. Next to the router upload is fine, but just 10 meters away upload drops drastically. Changing the mode from AX to AC fixes this issue.

Which country for example allows it?

I use mine, Spain (ES)

1 Like

Hi
I have tryied to flash AX6 with steps, but after flashing owrt image device doesn't reboot in Openwrt, It soft bricks (1orange led on, cant log in)
Unbrick helps to go back to 1.0.16
Where I am making mistake?
1.0.16, SSH works, Image in tmp

image - openwrt-ipq807x-generic-redmi_ax6-squashfs-factory.ubi from 21.01.2023

This steps seem old, for dual partition. Look at the commit text in the openwrt repo for ax6. Look at the ax3600 wiki, must be similar to it.

1 Like

You are using succesfully Dawn on the Router?

I have some problems with the roaming between the 2,4 GHz and 5 GHz Wlan.
Can you share your configuration or give a hint?

@robimarko @Ansuel : Thank you for the hard work in the past. Everything is working fine on my 3 Xiaomi AX3600

I ended doing a simple script based on the usteer information after fighting without luck with dawn and usteer. It works for me, I hope at some moment usteer works out of the box. I opened an issue for it because I think the bss transition command that executes is not right, at least for my phones.

I have only tried Dawn so far and there is also a nice table in Luci. Is Usteer comparable to it?
With my test changes in Dawn it only got worse.

It should work for me between 3 Dumb APs.

I dont know about 2.4ghz and 5ghz in 1 ssid.
Im using seperate 2.4 and 5

Usteer it's simpler. It does not have luci app.

I'm having a problem with the update too.
Can you provide a solution?
The topic is very long and I lost it because my English is very poor

Maybe a little offtopic;

Where can I find a changelog, or commit changes for ax3600 snapshot versions?

It's part of OpenWrt. Look at the master branch https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/commits/master not all of them affect the AX3600, but it's build from this code.

1 Like

Specific for the ipq807x target https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/commits/master/target/linux/ipq807x

3 Likes

I feel like this is maybe a silly question, but still... what is the best way to keep track of changes affecting ax3600 now, when it's merged upstream :thinking: ? So far I was reading Robi's changelog and posts here, but now? How to know which upstream builds are worth the upgrade and which I can skip?

I see a lot of technical talk. I used basic linux servers before for remote website/app management(following tutorials using ssh/putty etc), but don't have much knowledge about routers and networking.

I looked at the specs and price of the Xiaomi AX3600, and loved everything until i saw that it does not support wireguard.

Now, i found a tutorial/wiki about flashing openWRT on this device, but would it still allow many devices to connect(have around 40, out of which 15 low-traffic smart bulbs), be able to create a mesh network and most importantly offer decent wireguard speeds? I'd like 250 mbps minimum.

It does support wireguard.

With OpenWRT, you mean...?