I might try this bootloader flash for overclocking purposes, I already have this TTL-USB cable you wrote about, but where is the original bootloader file to flash in case something goes wrong and what is the software for flashing?
Isn't it included in the original firmware? I don't know really.
Exactly the same hardware as I have now, my speeds just dropped as OpenWRT/ath10k got updated. Of course both Windows 10 and the WiFi card driver have been updated too, so its hard to pin point exactly what caused the change.
Of course there is also the possibility that its just that there is more crosstalk in the area now as nobody was using 5Ghz back then. But its not like I'm sharing a channel with anyone visibly in range.
If I could remember exactly which release of OpenWRT it was I would revert back, but sadly it was probably a snapshot long since lost.
so this doesnt mean anything to you? with the qca-sdk added?
I´ve added TP-Link Archer C7 V2 to my ATH79 builds...
You can install all packages through opkg.
If you want to use flow offloading without building a image yourself and be able to install also kernel packages for a long time, here you go.
I saw your post and will test asap.
any caveats using 4.14?
I would do a config backup to get easy back on ar71xx builds. But i don´t think anyone will go back because of flow offloading feature...
Probably to 18.06 if anyone is afraid of trunk builds, but as i see the main features are very stable.
Currently there is a bug at the luci switch page on master, but this is only a cosmetic error and will be on all targets build from master.
Thanks for the info, I'll try your build when I arrive home.
i currently have yours installed with my cpu overclocked, it seems to be running stable with option flow_offloading_hw 1, but im still only seeing about 400 mbits/sec from client to server on router. what else can i do to get the gigabit speeds?
Hardware flow offloading isn't supported, but i think it only has no effect if you enable it though.
You could only enable option flow_offloading '1'.
Are you using PPPoE?
As i know but didn't can confirm by myself, PPPoE could currently only fully offloaded by hw flow offloading on MT7621 SoC's.
I dont have a gigabit connection nor i have pppoe...
But i like the low cpu utilization...
Tested your build, no problems whatsoever. All runs smooth, feels nice to have a new kernel.
I've compiled my own build too, no problems so far.
Are you getting the gigabit speeds on the internal network, like you do with the tp link firmware?
Gigabit speed on local network? Switched lan to lan has nothing to do with the firmware implementation.
If you mean routing throughput look at the first post.
There is a iperf benchmark of WDR3600 which is the device with the lowest cpu power and also only one cpu port.
Archer C2 v2 support was just added to ath79, and includes flow-offload and kernel 4.14 support:
Maybe this optimized build should switch to that target ?
You could also use my ath79 builds with full opkg support...
Thanks for the heads up. I updated most of the patches in my fork here. Juppin's build seems like a good option if you need working opkg though.
short question to all of you
would you happen to know why does this archer C7 limit it's wireless download speed to a max. of 300 mbps?
no matter which firmware I try, be it stock, dd-wrt, LEDE and now the new 4.1.4 kernel image ...
the settings are the same AC, VHT80, Ch 149, WPA-PSK2
I attach a speedtest screenshot done with my Galaxy S8 (exynos vers.) which tops out at max 300 even when testing through iperf3.exe between PC and phone
the phone is connected at 866 Mbps but speeds never exceed 300 Mbps over WiFi
I made a test over cable, phone connected through an USB3.0-Gigabit ethernet adapter and speeds were aprox.689-702 Mbps so definetelly the phone has the adequate hardware to deal with gigabit speeds, it has 2 x 2 MU-MIMO streams (not SU-MIMO) and even 1024-QAM
I tried/borrowed a MU-MIMO based ASUS RT-AC58U router and speeds over wifi were the same 300 Mbps; what router and software combination shoul I use to max out this wifi speed?
I read a post on reddit where someone reached even 600-700 Mbps over wifi with this phone...here is just an example
strange thing is that I flashed the old WDR4300 with juppin's new image based on new 4.14 kernel and I see the same phone connected at only 300 Mbps to the router, but wifi speeds over N/5 Ghz reach up to 198 Mbps that means nearly 75% of it's rated 300 Mbps capacity/connectivity...but on Archer C7 even if it says that it's connected at 866 Mbps, it tops out at 300 Mbps which is only 33% of it's connection speed of 866 Mbps
is it that our C7 hardware is limited to this wifi speed so no matter what combination of software being used?
This question doesn't belong in this thread.
A long answer for your short question: your 2x2 phone is capping out with non-MIMO hardware. I don't know why the other router you tried made no difference, but you could always just ask the guy that got higher speeds what he was using.
Did you take a look at your cpu usage of your router while doing a speedtest?
I assume this chould be the problem...
On wdr4300@700MHz the cpu usage is about 60% on 190 Mbit/s transfer over wifi from ethernet...
Archer C7 does not have much more cpu power as my overclocked wdr4300.
The frame format of 802.11 wireless is much different than the 802.3 ethernet frame and therefore your cpu will be very busy to transform 802.3 frames to 802.11 frames and vice versa.
The situation will be more bad if routing or nat is also included in your transmit route and will be better if you have sfe or flow offloading...
This is only a suggestion by me...
If this is really the bottleneck you could try to oc your c7's soc... I saw some reports in the oc thread that claims that there c7 does reach 1000MHz and more...