Gcc 5.2.0 / musl / OpenWrt 15.05

Hi i am trying to install gcc 5.2.0 for cross compilation toolchain ARMv7-a/32-bit using musl c lib on OWRT15.05 and there is no feeds available for this version. I could see gcc5.4.0 in owrt18.06. If anyone installed, pls share.
Thanks

Beside 18.06 is ancient and should not be used anymore in production enviroment for secuirty reason gcc is not included itself within an OpenWrt image.

I'm not sure about what you exactly want to achive.
But you could fetch the 18.06 branch via git and build the toolchain to get gcc-5.4 for your desired architecture.

In short:

git clone https://git.openwrt.org/openwrt/openwrt.git
git checkout openwrt-18.06
make toolchain/install

Then try to build a single package (gcc); but before select the architecture within menuconfig:

I'm not sure if you can achive this directly. Never did it for gcc.

1 Like

Thank you @anon54515283 I tried to build toolchain itself by copying packages/gcc feeds and i was not successful and indeed it was not building at all. I shall try as you suggested as well. Can you share the security issue pls? May if any other threads exist, pls share.
thanks a lot again

The 18.06.x branch has been EOL for three years now, so expect all security issues found within that time to apply.

1 Like

That won't work. You need the tools/toolchain for the hostsystem in place first. With this tools/toolchain you can start to build packages (e. g. either a single package or full SDK).
Keep in mind that building a single package can be challenging because of dependencies. If you look into the 2nd link I gave you it will be clear what I mean. It might be that building full SDK is the better approach.

As @slh has written already. This applies to v15.05 as well (I should have written this too). Both versions are simply old and nobody cares anymore about it at all.

Thank you so much @anon54515283. I got your 3 significant points. 1) build toolchain first on the host 2) build whole SDK package. 3) feeds/packages/devel/gcc would/may not be feasible dud to dependencies matrix unlike toolchain where every dependency is managed clearly.

Thank you so much @slh

You don't need the full SDK. But it helps to have it handy in first place for a certain architecture to tinker around. So e. g. you don't need to compile everything again if you want to move things to another machine or messing things up.

For the dependencies: You can always look into help for a package to get a clue if you want to compile gcc as a single package.