Future of Engenius ECB1750 Project

I have just purchased an ECB1750 on which I thought I would be able to flash with openWRT.

Unfortunately, however, the project seems to have stalled although it is clear a significant amount of work has been done.

I am not a coder and not competent to continue the work myself but it was suggested I ask here.
Can I ask therefore if any developer is continuing to work on this project or should I just abandon the device?
Budgie.

I have just purchased an ECB1750 on which I thought I would be able to flash with openWRT.

Unfortunately, however, the project seems to have stalled although it is clear a significant amount of work has been done.

I am not a coder and not competent to continue the work myself but it was suggested I ask here.
Can I ask therefore if any developer is continuing to work on this project or should I just abandon the device?

For a question like this, it's a good idea to give folks who don't know this
equipment a reason why they should care :slight_smile:

specs/price (or at least a link to specs), how old/new is it, and for something
where work has already been done, a link to what work has been done would be
useful. Is this something you care about enough to donate one (or the cost of
one) to a developer?

I'm not able to take on something like this either, but the more work a
developer has to do to figure out if this is something they would be interested
in picking up, the less likely they are to do so.

David Lang

Hi David,
Many thanks for the reply. Although I purchased the device new in November last, I now find that it is no longer on the UK website where I purchased so I have no immediate links and have a suspicion it has been superseded. In these circumstances there may not be sufficient reason for anybody to invest the time or money but I was hoping to catch the eye of the developer who had done the work which is on the openWRT website for this device. I shall wait a while longer.
Thanks again for the reply and the hints.
Budgie

in the openwrt bootlog in the openwrt wiki there is a PC user name listed, "andrew@rhaegar.a3.io" (andrew user on PC rhaegar.a3.io) , and the user that last edited the wiki (apart from tmomas that is a wiki admin) is "atyler".
Likely name of our suspect is "andrew tyler".

Googled around and it seems this guy posted a patch on OpenWRT mailing list https://lists.openwrt.org/pipermail/openwrt-devel/2015-November/037561.html

But it was rejected because of various (avoidable) dirty hacks (like changing default config of all similar boards to have the right config on his own). You can try emailing this guy (as in the mailing list there is his email) and see if you can spark a bit more interest in making a proper patch that can be merged in LEDE.

The device (a fairly standard high-end access point device) seems to still be available on US site http://www.engeniusworks.com/ECB1750.asp#specs so if anyone wants to take this up, it's not a dead end.

Hi Bob,
Very many thanks for the additional info. I am not familiar with these development lists so would not have found the possible leads without your help. Very much appreciated. I shall pursue as I paid quite a lot for the device and the supplier wants 50% restocking charge so I would like to try and flash it if possible.
Thanks again,
Budgie

Hi Budgie,

i've ported Openwrt to the EnGenius ECB1750 device.
It's running without issues and the current build is based on openwrt master branch.

Checkout pre-build binaries..

https://openwrt.org/toh/engenius/engenius_ecb1750_1

Hi sf.openwrt,

I am a OpenWRT noob, and was hoping to load it onto my ECB1750.
I wanted to contact you because it's been a number of years and was suggested to reach out to you by the IRC if you have any advice, guidance, or insight beyond the present guide.

Thank you!