Freeradius3 tutorial

Hi all,

Im currently using the radius server in my synology nas to do my 802.1x authentication. On my main router I have acme installed to get a certificate from LetsEncrypt for my wan IP. I manually copied that certificate into the radius server and seems to work well with my android phone to validate that I am actually connected to the right SSID. Windows does not seem to have to option (currently). But in order to automate the installing of the certificates i want to start using freeradius3 on the main router.

I had a look at this tutorial, but that does not actually explain what all the different pacakages do. Can anybody point me to somewhere where this is described?

Thanks,

Ramon

radius / snort / asterisk ( etc ) are a world unto their own... and apart from the package separation (and any supplemental tool variances )... there is not much 'openwrt' about them...

you should really start with a debian/ubuntu/etc/ vm/pc... follow recommended guides tutorials... and once working... attempt on openwrt...

radius2 (on openwrt) is somewhat documented with some minor quirks... radius3 not so much... you should be able to copy across 97%+ config files from your vm to openwrt change a few addresses and start it up... any db's if used are a little extra work/complexity...

3 Likes

Ok thx for the heads-up. I'll start looking outside openwrt for documentation. It does not really look very straighforward with all the different options and packages. This is going take some research.

the openwrt guide is good in that it shows the minimal areas to be attentive to...

but newer users should really first use a full OS... combined with some simpler / medium level guides... approach it in an extensible manner... do the minimum setup... add one more teency thing... add one more... starting out with something overly complex is the largest hurdle with these daemons...

after you've played around on a realOS... you will find the openwrt guides simplistic... and only stumble with tools/db/(or 'layering')...

2 Likes