Free Central Controller For OpenWrt

Hello Everyone,

You are welcome to give our Central Controller a spin.

• The firmware component is released as Open Source with detailed instructions to help you built for the hardware of your choice.
  • Advanced GUI with graphs, and maps.
  • The controller is hosted by yourself and fully under your control.
  • White Labeled.
  • The controller comes with a license to mange 30 OpenWrt devices. It NEVER EXPIRES.
  • There are NO LIMIT on the amount of controller instances you can run.
  • Support for hardware with up to three radios.
  • Centrally manage Batman-Adv based mesh networks with ease.
  • Includes an advanced scheduler which is ideal to manage GPIO (IOT)
  • Includes an Alert system to notify you when devices are down.
  • Includes a RADIUS server to manage Internet usage (RADIUSdesk)

https://www.radiusdesk.com/

14 Likes

Really exciting! I'm a home user, and I might give it a try, but I really hope businesses get interested in this and provide you with a nice revenue. Good luck!

1 Like

Awesome looks great I will give it a try as soon as my PI gets in.

1 Like

You don't need to have a Pi to get started...

There are three options now for the controller.

1. A ready built image for the Raspberry Pi4
  2. A ready built image for VirtualBox (which can probably be imported into other platforms like vmware.
  3. Install it yourself on an Ubuntu 20.04 machine. (can be local or on a VPS)
    https://radiusdesk.com/docuwiki/md/install-full

We plan to have a Docker image also available soon :muscle:

4 Likes
  1. Licensing options past 30?
  2. Is there an agent you load in OpenWRT to connect it to the controller securely over the internet? websocket/vpn or something?
  3. Firmware management and scheduled update windows?
  4. Alert options like web api to pushover, email, etc?
  1. Licensing options past 30?
  • 3USD Per Device / Block of 50 - Never expire

https://radiusdesk.com/wp/products/

1. Is there an agent you load in OpenWRT to connect it to the controller securely over the internet? websocket/vpn or something?
  1. Firmware management and scheduled update windows?

Alert options like web api to pushover, email, etc?

Alerts can be enabled per Access Provider and are email based currently

1 Like
  • You can also use hardware that only runs on older versions of OpenWrt / LEDE.
  • Today I expanded my mesh which has two Xiaomi 4C's running OpenWrt 21.02.x and added another 4x OpenMesh OM2Ps which I had lying around. Those were build using OpenWrt 17.01.x.
  • The mesh is up and running with no problems or complaints so far. Old and new living in harmony :slight_smile:

Will it be added to the OpenWrt repository?

I am not sure how the process of adding it to the repository works actually but I'll try and find out during the coming week.

3 Likes

I've tried to install the mezzdek file and finally my router is bricked

I've tried to install the mezzdek file and finally my router is bricked

Sorry to hear that.

I assume you refer to the MESHdesk firmware for the Xiaomi APs.
What router do you have that you tried it on?

For the Xiaomi there is this guide which worked well on my devices

Unfortunately there is always some form or risk involved, even doing a firmware upgrade from the vendor can break things.

1 Like

I am using youku yk1 router. I hope radiusdesk can be installed on openwrt easily. I'm currently using Daloradius which is easy for me to use on OpenWrt without the risk of a brick router

OK

My advice would be then to rather stick with something you are familiar with and had good results with (Daloradius)

Hi,

Are you following these install instructions?

http://radiusdesk.com/wiki/getting_started/22_install_ubuntu_nginx

The controller runs on Ubuntu 22.04 and then the firmware is a small add-on to standard OpenWrt to communicate and report to the controller.

I was wrong I thought radiusdesk can be used in OpenWrt replace ubuntu

need php8 maybe have to update installation on github Fatal error: Composer detected issues in your platform: Your Composer dependencies require a PHP version ">= 8.1.0". You are running 7.4.33. in /www/rdcore/cake4/rd_cake/vendor/composer/platform_check.php on line 24

Hi Dirk,

Is there any update regarding the docker image?

Here's the instructions to do a Docker image on Ubuntu

http://radiusdesk.com/wiki/getting_started/docker_image

It might need a few tweaks if you run on a different environment

There's also lots of new features which should be ready in the next week or two actually, especially with MESHdesk and APdesk...

1 Like

is there also a way to install this docker image on openwrt?

this looks great, but I don't want to setup an additional server or some kind just to manage my devices, so I'm looking for a way to install this on my main router and from there just manage my access points.
thank you.

Currently not that easy to do unfortunately.

Most of the router hardware out there is limited in terms of memory available (RAM and flash)

I suppose its not impossible.

I used a Teltonika the other day and added a USB stick in order to expand the storage.

I suppose if you want to investigate from your side, see if you can install:

1. Nginx
  2. PHPv8.x
  3. MariaDB

On your main router.

If you can manage to get the LEMP stack running we should be able to install the CakePHP web app and GUI....

I might just revisit the Teltonika again myself when time permits :slight_smile: