Flashing Sierra EM7455 through WE826 Openwrt

I keep having issues with my EM7455 connecting to the internet. Tried 3 different sims.

Can this card be flashed while being in the WE826 adapter?

I can send AT commands through OpenWrt Miscellaneous menu.

I need to install latest fw since the current one seems outdated.

Any help is much appreciated.

I'm not sure it is possible as you may need additional packages that are not in OpenWrt.

I suggest to look at how it is done in this automated script for Ubuntu that I used in the past to update the firmware on that card model https://github.com/danielewood/sierra-wireless-modems

Although if you buy an adapter you can just plug the modem in a USB port and use the PC (or a VM) running Ubuntu to do the update procedure

Thanks for your reply!

I kind of figured the same.

Just ordered the adapter from amazon.

My EM7455 has some old 2017 fw running.. iv seen a lot of people flash fw and that fixes most issues while setting up connection

Ill update on the progress once i receive the adapter and flash

Yes, with qmi-firmware-update (included in qmi-utils)

Through USB adapter? Or straight from WE826?

as you asked - straight from the router

Cool!
Will look into this!

Any reference or guide that you may have?

This tool is not OpenWrt specific, you can find a lot of examples on Internet.
In fact, everything is very straightforward - just make the files accessible to the tool and run it like this:
qmi-firmware-update -t /dev/ttyUSB0 -U filename.cwe filename.nvu
(corrected as -u is not available)
The upgrade is triggered with --dms-set-firmware-preference, see examples in qmi-firmware-update -H output.

Dope!
Looking into it as we speak

Im guessing using SCP to transfer the latest files into the router? Then point tool to file location?

yep, any scp capable tool like Linux scp, mc or WinSCP; put them to /tmp or your flash folder if you have enough space there

Edit: considering your router limitations I suggest to use USB memory stick, there is no need to copy files to the router itself

yeah... router doesnt have enough space to hold the files...

router has a usb slot. how do i access usb drive through the router?

sorry if i ask a lot, not too familiar with luniz or openwrt.. this is my first router and its been a challenge to get it to work

Assuming all the drivers are there, your memory stick should be mounted under /mnt, check with ls /mnt, so you will need to add something like /mnt/sda1/ before the file names.
You can run ls /mnt/sda1/ (with the correct name) to see the content of the drive.

Got everything setup.. still need to get a bit more familiar with the QMI commands.. im getting some errors when trying to execute command..

but so far mounted external usb drive and the router can see the device and the files inside so its set on that end

Just copy/paste your command and the error(s).

using latest generic from sierra

root@ROOter:~# qmicli -d /dev/cdc-wdm0 -p --dms-set-firmware-preference="SWI9X30
C_02.33.03.00"

error: invalid format string, expected 3 elements: [(fwver),(config),(carrier)]

ok. so got a enw eeror from trying yiur command..

seems like i dont have modemmanager

root@ROOter:~# ls /mnt/sda1/
SWI9X30C_02.33.03.00.cwe                      lost+found
SWI9X30C_02.33.03.00_GENERIC_002.072_000.nvu

root@ROOter:~# 
'qmi-firmware-update -w /dev/cdc-wdm0 -U /mnt/sda1/SWI9X30C_02.33.03.00.cwe \ /mnt/sda1/SWI9X30C_02.33.03.00_GENERIC_002.072_000.nvu --ignore-mm-runtime-check

error: unknown firmware image file

used ingore modemanager runtime check since i dont have it .. now got that error.. wtf

You are quoting a space here. Don't do that unless the file name really starts with a space.

even if omitting the fw preference command and going straight for the update it returns that it doesn't recognize the firmware image

When you give it the mistyped file name or does it still do that after you've corrected the typo?

It's very hard for us to guess what you are doing. Can't you please just copy the commands and error messages here instead of describing them in your own words? Most of the time when you get unexpected output, the reason is that the input is different from what you think it is. Describing to us what you think your input is does not help.

Anyway, if you want to verify the images you can compare the MD5 sums with mine:

$ md5sum SWI9X30C_02.33.03.00*
5847f1d62adc3237000c6571f8d87827  SWI9X30C_02.33.03.00.cwe
f17933ab3f1239c5f67e80d6cc48f4d8  SWI9X30C_02.33.03.00_GENERIC_002.072_000.nvu
1 Like