First start building image

hi,

I tried 4 times to build image with some trials and errors, but to date, not good results.
I've read some tutos, videos and posts here and I took some notes (steps) to follow. I would like to be sure what is the best, here my steps and possibilities... thank you for advising me.

1- sudo apt install build-essential ccache ecj fastjar file g++ gawk \
gettext git java-propose-classpath libelf-dev libncurses5-dev \
libncursesw5-dev libssl-dev python python2.7-dev python3 unzip wget \
python3-distutils python3-setuptools rsync subversion swig time \
xsltproc zlib1g-dev 

2- git clone https://git.openwrt.org/openwrt/openwrt.git

3- git checkout openwrt-19.07  (?)

4- ./scripts/feeds update -a

5- ./scripts/feeds install -a

6- make menuconfig

7- make -j clean download

(here below, possibilities? when to put in Cli?)

**cd path/to/openwrt**
**wget -O .config https://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/targets/mvebu/cortexa9/config.buildinfo**
**make defconfig**
make menuconfig

If this helps

git checkout is checking out a specific branch, you seem to be mixing stable branch and snapshot config.

That wont work and will break most likely. wget a config from the downloads stable config.

1 Like

In addition to what's said above, you don't need to grab a configuration file. Just run make menuconfig, pick your device, and all the OpenWrt defaults will be loaded in the background.

1 Like

what I wrote about snapshot is an exemple, I mean, maybe I could use that instead of git checkout openwrt-19.07 ?

We're just grasping at straws here, if you're sharing hypotheticals. You said you run into trouble, so at what point and what issues do you run into? Please share your output and error messages.

i got that:

Collected errors:
 * check_data_file_clashes: Package libustream-openssl20201210 wants to install file /home/james/openwrt/build_dir/target-arm_cortex-a9+vfpv3-d16_musl_eabi/root-mvebu/lib/libustream-ssl.so
	But that file is already provided by package  * libustream-wolfssl20201210
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package libustream-openssl20201210.
 * check_data_file_clashes: Package libustream-openssl20201210 wants to install file /home/james/openwrt/build_dir/target-arm_cortex-a9+vfpv3-d16_musl_eabi/root-mvebu/lib/libustream-ssl.so
	But that file is already provided by package  * libustream-wolfssl20201210
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package luci-ssl-openssl.
 * check_data_file_clashes: Package syslog-ng wants to install file /home/james/openwrt/build_dir/target-arm_cortex-a9+vfpv3-d16_musl_eabi/root-mvebu/sbin/logread
	But that file is already provided by package  * logd
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package syslog-ng.
make[2]: *** [package/Makefile:69: package/install] Error 255
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/james/openwrt'
make[1]: *** [package/Makefile:109: /home/james/openwrt/staging_dir/target-arm_cortex-a9+vfpv3-d16_musl_eabi/stamp/.package_install] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/james/openwrt'
make: *** [/home/james/openwrt/include/toplevel.mk:234: world] Error 2

Yes that ustream stuff is pesky. You enabled libustream-openssl but still have libustream-wolfssl set as [m] or [*]?

libustream-wolfssl is default for your target, probably. And that messes with stuff if you don't set it to modular ([m]).

1 Like

to be sure, if I want, it could worked if I use that:

1- sudo apt install build-essential ccache ecj fastjar file g++ gawk \
gettext git java-propose-classpath libelf-dev libncurses5-dev \
libncursesw5-dev libssl-dev python python2.7-dev python3 unzip wget \
python3-distutils python3-setuptools rsync subversion swig time \
xsltproc zlib1g-dev 

2- wget -O .config https://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/targets/mvebu/cortexa9/config.buildinfo

4- ./scripts/feeds update -a

5- ./scripts/feeds install -a

6- make menuconfig

7- make -j clean download

And when we already have our build and want to update some thing, we have to start from where , which steps to do?
Thanks again

is there a difffrence between make menuconfig and menu nconfig I saw both here and there on forum, I use menu config but dont know the difference?

thanks

1 Like

I would love to know that too

You can use either. It's just a matter of preference.

Just try each and decide for yourself.

Personally I use nconfig. F2 and F8 really help tracking issues down.

2 Likes