Finding LTE travel router for student

I am a student and I would like to purchase a travel router that supports using LTE or connecting to a USB modem to provide uninterrupted network access.

Questions in "Which router should I buy?":

• How fast is your internet connection?
    Not clear, but usually I can download in about 4~6mb/s with LTE.

• Do you need Wi-Fi?
    Yes, most of my devices doesn't have an ethernet port.

• Do you need Gigabit Ethernet?
    No.

• Do you need USB ports? How many? USB 2.0 or 3.0?
    No. but there will be one needed if the router doesn't have a build in LTE support.

• How many family members/devices must the router support?
    Only me.

• What other services do you want?
    VPN, and game booster plugins.

Price range:
I am in China, supply and demand relationships, currency purchasing power and exchange rates differences between countries may lead to vastly different prices. Therefore, I believe providing a direct number may not be helpful. So I think it's more appropriate to indicate the value of the items that my budget can purchase.
I searched on a router filter webpage, it says in China ¥200 can buy(They are clearly not in my options):
TP-LINK TL-R473GP-AC
Tenda W18E
TP-LINK TL-R473
D-Link DI-7001

None of these models appears to be supported by OpenWrt.
Is your intent to buy a router that can run OpenWrt?

this one?

1 Like

These are just to show what the budget can purchase. You can take a look at the previous few sentences

I need OpenWrt to run VPN and game booster etc.

I checked briefly and couldn't find a way to purchase it

I have some experience installing and operating Linux on Raspberry Pi, but I am not sure if I can replicate this process

by taobao / alibaba, you have to search carefully, many different brands/logos.

just type "UF896 router" and search?

No, many sellers donot know the internal chips/solutions, please note this device is old model in stock, no new production.

I'm confused, can you give me some keywords to search?Thank you

No, I did not buy this device.

Is the ZTE MF286 sold in CN ?

I would not qualify this as a travel router

the rpi3 or 4 that would be good alternative for low wifi speeds (the 4-6 mbps you mentioned) and up to 8 devices

agreed, but have you googled the devices OP suggested ?

nope because I've read the tag preceding that list of devices

sure, but question is why ...
because of size, or something different ... ?

well for me

says it all - do we want to go into the definition of that item?

" It’s a compact router that can fit in your pocket, purse, or bag, making it perfect for traveling. It can transform any internet connection into a private Wi-Fi network"

no, I want to know why OP dismissed them, in addition to the obvious "not supported" reason, which he didn't know at the time of posting.

I have a power which has a 1dm^2 surface area and 75wh/20000mah so a larger ones or those without built-in batteries are also acceptable